Council Minutes May 2018

Minutes of the meeting of Coychurch Lower Community Council held at
the Council Meeting Room at the Williams Memorial Hall
on Tuesday the 8th May 2018 at 7.15 pm.

PRESENT. Chairman Cllr. Mrs. Helen Evans, Vice-Chairman Cllr. Penelope Gwilliam Cllr. Miss Jayne Brace, Cllr. Kenneth Smith, Cllr. Bruce Nash and the Clerk Paul Smith.

1624. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Apologies for absence were received from Cllr. Philip Davies who had a long standing commitment and Cllr Richard Smith who was called away to work at short notice.
1625. MINUTES.
The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday 10th April 2018 copies having previously been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman. There were no matters arising.
1626. TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL PREJUDICIAL OR FINANCIAL INTEREST.
There were no declarations of interest.
1627. CLERKS REPORT.
• The Clerk wrote to the Chief Constable of South Wales Police expressing the Council’s concerns regarding the lack of effective Community Policing. Following which a letter was received from Chief Superintendent Stuart Parfitt advising that the Police are committed to community policing and the information required for the monthly Police Report is available on the website www.police.co.uk. He also advised he would be willing to attend a Council meeting to discuss this should this be necessary. To be discussed.
• The Clerk emailed PCSO Sam Dance asking her to again visit and address the problem of illegal parking at David Street on the Bridgend Industrial Estate. A copy of BCBC’s letter also asking the Police to act was attached. No response todate.
• The Clerk has arranged for the branches below the trees at Duffryn Close to be cleared.
• Another incident of Fly Tipping at the junction of Tyn-y-Caeau Lane and Bryn Road was reported to Clean Up The County. This has been cleared but rubbish has been tipped at the lay by just of the B4181 at Tyn -y- Caeau Lane.
• One Voice Wales forwarded a copy of their “Response to the Community and Town Council Review”. Copy to all.
• Letter received from Mrs Sandra Davidson, President of the Coychurch WI, requesting a donation towards the cost of the WI’s 100th anniversary. See Donations.
• Email from One Voice Wales forwarding a newsletter from the Independent Review Panel. Copy to all.
• Letter received from the Independent Review Panel asking the Community Council to hold a “pop in” session to collect views from the Community on Thursday 24th May 2018. . Copy to all. Following some discussion the Council decided that given the short time given to organize a “pop in” event they would instead advertise and make residents aware of Review Panels recommendations and how they can record their views/comments.
• New pay scales received from NALC National Association of Local Councils effective 1st April 2018.
• The Internal Audit of the Councils Accounts year ending 31st March 2018 has been completed. The Auditors report will be discussed under the Annual Return.
• Letter received from NALC notifying the Council that small Community Councils do not have to recruit the services of a Data Processing professional to act as DPO but must meet all other GDPR requirements.
• Letter received from the NALC notifying the Council that they must register with the Information Commissioners Office(ICO) and annual fees are due on registering.
• Letter received from BCBC notifying the Council that a statutory review of the Bridgend Local Development Plan (LDP) commenced in 2017 and the first stage being publication of the Draft Review Report which is subject to a 4 week stakeholder consultation period commencing 30th April 2018 to Friday 25th May 2018. Copy to all.
• Notification received from BCBC that their new website is now operational. However there are problems including the Planning Search Option.
• Confirmation received from BCBC that the Council Precept has been paid.
• Letter received from Cassie Cramer of Big Ideas an organization that leads community and educational projects. Copy to all.
• Email received from Alison Dickson regarding the faded “No Dogs Allowed” signage at the entrance to the Play Park. It was agreed the Council should be able to assist with the signage.
• Cllr Phil Davies attended the One Voice Wales meeting on Monday 30th April 2018.
• Email received from Louise Cogan asking the Council to advertise the availability of a new Job Centre location website at https://www.jobcentrenearme.com/
1628. TO DISCUSS THE GDPR AND POSITION OF DPO.
Letter received from NALC notifying the Council that small Community Councils do not have to recruit the services of a Data Protection professional to act as DPO but must meet all other GDPR requirements. A second letter received from NALC notifying the Council that they must register with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) and annual fees are due on registering. The Clerk advised the Chairman would be the one registered with the ICO. Cost is estimated at £30 for those registering with 10 employees or less.
1629. TO DISCUSS THE PURCHASE OF A DEFIBRILLATOR(s) FOR THE WARD.
Cllr. Evans reported that she has started an application for lottery funding for the three Defibrillators and cabinets. The cost is £1500 per unit with £300 for installation. However the Council will be applying for funds of £500 per unit from the community fund.
1630. POLICE.
The Clerk presented the Police Report he had compiled from information available on the police website www.police.co.uk. Unfortunately the information was last updated in April 2018 and no detailed information about individual crimes and incidents was available. Therefore it was agreed that the Police Report should not be circulated but residents should be advised they can access information through the Police website. It was also agreed that the Clerk should contact Chief Superintendant Stuart Parfitt and sask him to attend June’s Council Meeting to discuss how more detailed information can be obtained.
The Clerk reported that he had emailed PCSO Sam Dance about the continued illegal and dangerous parking on David Street on the BIE. There has been no response to date so it was agreed that the Clerk should raise this with Chief Superintendant Stuart Parfitt for discussion at June’s meeting.                                                                                                                                                                      1631. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING PLANNING.
The Planning Sub Committee on Monday 7th May 2018 was cancelled. Cllr. Kenneth Smith presented the planning matters for May 2018.
Applications.
P/18/237/RES- Welsh Ministers, Land East of Crack Hill Brocastle. Reserved matters to P/16/549/OUT for approval of site layout.
P/18/280/RLX- Mr. J. David , Land fronting Waterton Lane. Removal of conditions 2,3,4 and 6 of P/16/1026/RES
P/18/311/FUL-Mr. C. Fowler Unit 15 Ogmore Crescent BIE. Change of use from industrial unit to a gym.
P/18/313/FUL-Mrs S, Bryant rear garden of The Cottage Coychurch. Vary standard time condition on P/15/196/OUT to extend for a further 3 years.
Other Laurel Court. Letter received from BCBC asking the Council if they had any objections or comments
reference the proposed Street name of Laurel Court for the new development of 8 dwellings on Waterton Lane. The
Council confirmed that it has no objections to the proposed name.
Bridgend LDP (2013)-Consultation on the Draft Review Report and Drat Replacement Local LDP delivery
agreement. Cllr. Ken Smith reported that the Community Council should be aware of possible applications
regarding a possible incinerator plant on the Waterton Industrial Estate, and the use of land suitable for new housing
development.
1632. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.
Cllr. Jayne Brace reported that the cycle path at the East end of the village was surveyed recently.
1633 .TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.
The Clerk presented the Footpath Report for May 2018.
BCBC ROW. Despite several requests from the Community Council for a progress report on outstanding issues no response has been forthcoming.
WALKING FESTIVAL- 16th-24th June 2018. Given the fact that only 4 people attended last year’s advertised walks
and the current situation with BCBC it was decided not to enter the Festival this year but to organize one or two walks locally during the Festival week. a
1634. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH
Borough Cllr. Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables was in attendance and advised that funds were still available in
the Community Fund and £1500 has been allocated for the purchase of three defibrillators and cabinets by the Community Council.
Councillor Venables was asked if there was a plan for more schools or school development to meet the increasing number of pupils associated with the current and planned planned housing development. Cllr. Venables advised there was no plan and nothing will be decided until house building starts.
She also reported that she had met with the owner of The Meadows up the Bryn. He has a problem with people placing dog “poo” bags in his hedging and of course they don’t biodegrade. He was wondering if the council would put up signs, saying don’t dog foul or leave bags etc It was agreed the Community Council will look into this and look at other locations for putting up dog fouling warning signage..
1635. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCII.
Mrs Sandra Davidson President of the Coychurch WI wrote to the Community Council requesting a donation
towards the cost of their 100th Anniversary celebrations. It was proposed, seconded and agreed that the sum of
£200 be donated towards the Coychurch WI’s 100th Anniversary celebrations.
1636.TO RECEIVE AND APPROVE THE ANNUAL RETURN FOR YEARENDING 31st MARCH
2018.
The RFO presented the Annual Return and Internal Auditors Report. There were no issues raised on the
Auditor’s Report. The Annual Return was then signed by the Chairman.
1637. TO DISCUSS THE PRECEPT FOR 2018/2019.
The Precept Actual v Budget Report for 2018/19 was reviewed. Actual spending was in line with the
Precept/Budget. £6,107 of the £19,540 Precept has been spent.
1638. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS.
Payment of cheques numbered 1515 /1518 totalling £5,027.78 were approved and signed. The issue of the
£5 monthly service/admin charge was raised. It was agreed the Clerk should contact Lloyds Bank to see if
the charge can be cancelled? If not another bank would selected which does not make a charge and the
Lloyds account closed down.
1639. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
Cllr Nash raised the issue of getting members from the Community Punishment Scheme into the village to
clean bus shelters, clear the Church wall, road and street sign cleaning and possibly doing work in the
school. Cllr. Penelope Gwilliam agreed to contact them to arrange a meeting with Council at the Planning
Meeting on Monday 11th June 2018.
Cllr. Jayne Brace advised that she had been forwarded an email by Cllr. Evans originally from Mr. Luke
Midgley. Mr. Midgley complained that he saw the Clerk taking black bags from his car and putting them
in the waste container at the Hall. It was agreed that the Chairman should write to Mr, Midgley advising
him that the container is under the management of the Memorial Hall not the Community Council and it
has been agreed by the Trustees that Councillors and the Clerk can put any waste/litter collected or found
in the village into the waste container.
1640. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.
No members of the public were present.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8. 52pm.

Signed Chairman……………………………………12th June 2018