Council Minutes June 2018

Minutes of the meeting of Coychurch Lower Community Council held at
the Council Meeting Room at the Williams Memorial Hall
on Tuesday the 12th June 2018 at 7.15 pm.

PRESENT. Chairman Cllr. Mrs. Helen Evans, Cllr. Miss Jayne Brace, Cllr. Philip Davies, Cllr. Richard Smith and the Clerk Paul Smith. Chief Superintendent Stuart Parfitt was in attendance for part of the meeting.

1641. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Apologies for absence were received from Cllr. Ms Penelope Gwilliam who is on vacation.
1642. MINUTES.
The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday 8th May 2018 copies having previously been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman. There were no matters arising.
1643. TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL PREJUDICIAL OR FINANCIAL INTEREST.
There were no declarations of interest.
1644. TO APPOINT MEMBERS TO ONE VOICE WALES , TOWN & COMMUNITY FORUM
FOOTPATHS/ROW AND THE PLANNING COMMITTEE.
The following appointments were made. One Voice Wales Cllr. Philip Davies, Town and Community Forum Cllr. Ms. Penelope Gwilliam and Footpaths/ROW Cllr. Philip Davies. After some discussion it was decided that Planning Matters will be dealt with at the main Committee Meeting with immediate effect.
1645. CLERKS REPORT.
• Chief Superintendent Stuart Parfitt advised that he will attend the June Council meeting to discuss the Police Report and the parking problem on the Bridgend Industrial Estate.
• The branches below the trees at Duffryn Close have been cleared.
• Letter received from the Vice-Chair of the Coychurch over 50 Club requesting a donation from the Council to support their various activities. See donations.
• Correspondence received from Borough Cllr. Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables that a public display/consultation regarding phase 3 of the Safe Routes to School proposals will take place at Croesty School on Thursday 7th June 2018 between 4pm and 6pm.
• The Clerk is awaiting quotations for the cost of new “No Dogs Allowed” signage for the two entrances to the Play Park.
• Repairs to the fencing of the Kick-about area in the Play Park will start week beginning 11th June.
• Email received from Post Offices Near Me asking the Council advertise their website https://www.postofficesnearme.com
• Notification received from BCBC that the next Town & Community Forum will be held on Tuesday 26th June 2018 in the Council Chamber at 4pm.
• Copy of correspondence from Mr. Brian Sewell to BCBC reporting the presence of Japanese Knotweed at the Court. BCBC has confirmed it will be taking the necessary action. However there are some cuttings laying on the grass. It was agreed that if this is not cleared by BCBC in the next few days, the Clerk will arrange to contact John Hanmer to see if he can collect and remove the cuttings.
• Confirmation received from Andrew Jones that the Coychurch Youth Club now have their own bank account and are requesting a donation to support the Club’s events/activities. See Donations.
• Community Fund application form received from Coychurch WI for endorsement by the Council. This will be passed onto Cllr. Dr. Elaine Venables for processing.
• Following the resignation of Councillors Kenneth Smith and Bruce Nash the Clerk notified BCBC’s Electoral department and notices of the vacancies prepared by BCBC have been advertised on the notice boards.
• Following the above resignations two additional bank signatories are needed. To be confirmed at July’s meeting.
• Email received from Mr. And Mrs Howell highlighting three items requiring repairs/ action and expressing their concern why these were not identified by the Community Council
and reported to BCBC. Following a discussion it was agreed the Clerk should email Mr and
Mrs. Howell with the Council’s response. It was also agreed that the Clerk should contact BCBC to confirm the grass cutting schedules for and around the village, including the Play Park.
1646. TO DISCUSS THE GDPR AND POSITION OF DPO.
The Clerk confirmed that he had
Registered with ICO and the registration fees had been paid to the ICO by Direct Debit.
Audit of data has been completed an a Data Protection Policy prepared.
Computer data secured. Computer data password protected. Paper files in cabinets under lock and key.
Website reviewed.
1647. TO DISCUSS THE PURCHASE OF A DEFIBRILLATOR(s) FOR THE WARD.
Cllr. Evans reported that she had forwarded the Grant application for three Defibrillators and confirmation of receipt of the application has been received by herself and the Clerk. While waiting for a decision it was agreed the Community Fund application form(s) should be completed. Cllr. Evans said she will speak to Borough Councillor Elaine Venables as to the best way to apply.
1648. TO DEAL WITH MATTERS CONCERNING THE POLICE.
Chief Superintendent Stuart Parfitt was present at the meeting. The issue of community policing and the monthly Police Report previously produced by PCSO Sam Dance were discussed. Chief Superintendent Stuart Parfitt advised the Council that that new Chief Constable was totally committed to community policing and was looking to develop a new communication strategy to improve the effectiveness of community policing.
On the matter of the police database he admitted there was currently problems keeping the data up to date, He therefore agreed that the Police report would be reinstated and will be produced by PCSO Sam Dance as she had previously done.
The problem of illegal parking on the Bridgend Industrial Estate particularly David Street was discussed.
Chief Superintendent Stuart Parfitt agreed to send someone to look at the problem but advised that any action taken by the Police would at best only have a short term benefit since the problem would continue due to the lack of off street parking.
Cllr. Jayne Brace highlighted the continuing problem of speeding bikers on the A478 especially at weekends. Chief Superintendent Stuart Parfitt agreed to contact their traffic department and arrange for them to deploy their cameras vans on that stretch of road.
The Chairman thanked Chief Superintendent Stuart Parfitt for attending the meeting.
1649. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING PLANNING.
The Planning Sub Committee on Monday 11th June 2018 was cancelled. The Clerk presented the planning matters for June 2018.
Applications.
P/18/306/FUL- Jump Jam Unit 2 2 Horsfair Road WIE CF31 3YN. Proposed canopy infill.
P/18/382/FUL- Quality Packing Limited. Land adjacent to 20 Ogmore Crescent BIE CF31 3TE. New industrial unit.
Objections.
Nil.
Comments
Nil.
Permissions.
P/18/280/RLX- Mr. J. David , Land fronting Waterton Lane. Removal of conditions 2,3,4 and
6 of P/16/1026/RES
Refused.
Nil.
Other.
1650. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.
Some residents had contacted the Clerk about the issue of cars parking and causing an obstruction just before the first narrowing on Main Road by the junction with Bryn Road. In the past PCSO Sam Dance has spoken to the people concerned but no further action can be taken since it is not illegal to park there.
1651 .TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.
Cllr. Philip Davies reported that there was no footpath report for June. Despite several requests from
the Community Council for a progress report on outstanding issues there still has been no response from
BCBC’s ROW.
1652. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH.
Borough Cllr. Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables sent her apologies and was not in attendance..
1653. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCIL.
Mrs Margaret Collins Vice-Chairman of the Coychurch Over 50 Club wrote to the Community Council requesting
a donation towards the cost of events and day trips. It was proposed, seconded and agreed that the sum of
£200 be donated to the Coychurch Over 50 Club for this purpose.
Mr. Andrew Jones organizer of the Coychurch Youth Club wrote to the Community Council requesting
a donation towards the running of the Youth Club It was proposed, seconded and agreed that the sum of
£200 be donated to the Coychurch Youth Club.
1654. TO DISCUSS THE PRECEPT FOR 2018/2019.
The Precept Actual v Budget Report for 2018/19 was reviewed. Actual spending was in line with the
Precept/Budget. £6,350 of the £ 19,540 Precept has been spent.
It was agreed that the Council should progress the purchase of a bench and planter to replace the two old benches
at the entrance to Manor Drive.
It was agreed the Clerk should confirm the cost of new Litter Bins from BCBC and Council members should
forward suggestions to the Clerk for the exact locations of the new bins.
Cllr. Evans suggested purchasing a picnic bench for the Play Park. Cost to be confirmed.
Following some discussion it was agreed that the Clerk should get a quotation for the cost of clearing overgrowing
vegetation /weeds from some of the main footpaths in the Ward.
1655. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS.
Payment of cheques numbered 1519 /1522 totalling £2,352.31 were approved and signed.
Cllr Evans reported she has prepared a letter to be sent to Lloyds Bank to change the Council’s Bank
account from a Business to a Treasury account so as to stop the £5 monthly bank charge. The Clerk to
action.
1656. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
Cllr Philip Davies confirmed he attended the last Area Meeting off One Voice Wales. There was a guest
speaker talking about insurance cover for small Councils, Also discussed was how new build funding
can be potentially available to Town & Community Councils.
Cllr. Gwilliam had raised the problem of the heavy vegetation on the banks of the Brook which needs to
be cut back. This includes the section of the Brook between the Hall and Well Cottages and through to
Glebeland Close, The Clerk will contact the Environmental Agency/Rivers Authority to arrange for
cutting back of the vegetation.
Cllr Gwilliam had also advised the Chairman that she is no longer involved with Coychurch Youth Club.
Cllr, Evans reported on her first meeting as a Governor of Coychurch Primary School. She found it
interesting and informative, She advised that the school is almost at maximum capacity in terms off pupil
numbers and the biggest challenge facing the school is the lack of a central strategy and planning as to
how the increase in pupils numbers from the new housing developments can be absorbed.
Cllr. Evans also advised that she had written to Mr. Luke Midgely about the use of the William Memorial
Hall’s waste container as agreed at May’s meeting. There has been to response from Mr. Midgely as at this
time.
1657. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.
No members of the public were present.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 9. 14 pm.
Signed Chairman……………………………………10th July 2018