Council Minutes July 2018

Minutes of the meeting of Coychurch Lower Community Council held at
the Council Meeting Room at the Williams Memorial Hall
on Tuesday the 10th July 2018 at 7.15 pm.

PRESENT. Chairman Cllr. Mrs. Helen Evans, Cllr. Philip Davies, Cllr. Richard Smith and the Clerk Paul Smith.

1658. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Apologies for absence were received from Cllr. Ms Penelope Gwilliam who had previous commitment and Cllr. Miss Jayne Brace who had work commitments .
1659. MINUTES.
The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday12th June 2018 copies having previously been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman. There were no matters arising.
1660. TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL PREJUDICIAL OR FINANCIAL INTEREST.
Cllr. Philip Davies declared an interest regarding the request for a donation from Coychurch School PTA, as his daughter is Chair of the PTA.
1661. TO DISCUSS THE TWO VACANCIES ON THE COMMUNITY COUNCIL
The Clerk received three applications for the two vacancies on the Community Council. The deadline for applications has now passed. It was agreed interviews will be held on Tuesday 24th July starting at 7pm. The Clerk will write to the applicants to advise them of the interview date and time(s). It was further agreed that a short list of questions be prepared in advance.
1662. TO CONFIRM SIGNATORIES FOR THE COUNCIL’S BANK ACCOUNT.
Two additional signatories are required for the Council’s bank account. Cllr. Davies and Cllr. Penelope Gwilliam were nominated as signatories. Cllr. Helen Evans, Cllr. Jayne Brace and the Clerk Paul Smith continue as signatories. The Clerk advised that he had recently spoken to Lloyds Bank plc and reported that Lloyd’s had confirmed that the Council’s Business account has been changed to a Treasury account and no service charge will be made providing the Council’s annual income does not exceed £50,000 and the account remains in credit.
1663. CLERKS REPORT.
• Letter received from the Chair of the Coychurch School PTA requesting a donation from the Council to support their various activities including the Summer Carnival. See donations.
• The Clerk has ordered two new “No Dogs Allowed” signs for the two entrances to the Play Park. These will be put up as soon as they are received.
• Repairs to the fencing of the Kick-about area in the Play Park is due for completion this week.
• Due to illness Cllr. Penelope Gwilliam was unable to attend the Town & Community Forum held on Tuesday 26th June 2018.
• Mails received from Mr. Brian Sewell copying correspondence to BCBC reporting the presence of Japanese Knotweed at the Court. Borough Cllr. Dr. Elaine Venables has confirmed that BCBC has visited the area concerned and confirmed spraying/treatment to remove the Knotweed will be carried out in September.
• Clearing of overgrowing vegetation from the footpath at the back of Glenwood Drive over the railway crossing has been cleared by John Hanmer and Network Rail. The footpath between Main road and Glenwood Close is also on his schedule for clearing.
• The Clerk contacted Rivers Authority regarding clearing of vegetation from the Brook. They advised that clearance work is scheduled for this month but there are still nestling Ducks in the Brook and they cannot start the work until the nestling period has finished.
• Invitation received from Maesteg Town Council for the Chairman to attend the Mayor’s Civic Service on Sunday 15th July. The Chairman is unable to attend due to a previous commitment.
• The Clerk contacted BCBC to establish the cost of new litter/waste bins. John Rees of BCBC advised that Glasdon Bins post mounted cost – £151.26 and stand alone cost – £164.73.These are the prices from BCBC who buy in bulk and can order on our behalf. Mr. Rees advised he would come out to the places where the bins are to be located to confirm exact costs and to identify any access problems associated with the emptying of the bins.
• The Clerk contacted BCBC requesting BCBC for a grass cutting and weed spraying schedule for Coychurch Lower. No response to date, though some weed spraying was carried out on Main Road recently.
• The Clerk contacted PSCO Sam Dance reference reintroduction of the monthly Police agreed with Chief Superintendent Parfitt. Copy of a brief Police Report was forwarded by PCSO Joel Hopkins. To be discussed.
• Purchase of a bench and a planter to be purchased this month, to replace the two old benches at the entrance to Manor Drive? To be confirmed.
1664. TO DISCUSS THE GDPR AND POSITION OF DPO.
There was nothing to report under this heading except the Direct Debit for the annual registration fee had been set up and the payment made to the ICO..
1665. TO DISCUSS THE PURCHASE OF A DEFIBRILLATOR(s) FOR THE WARD.
There was nothing to report under this heading. The Council is still waiting to hear if Lottery Funding has been successful.
1666. TO DEAL WITH MATTERS CONCERNING THE POLICE.
PCSO Joel Hopkins forwarded a very brief Police Report. The Clerk contacted PCSO Hopkins asking him to provide more detail on the report and to include whether the crimes/incidents are in Coychurch village or on the Industrial Estates.
1667. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING PLANNING.
The Chairman presented the planning report for July..
Applications.
P/18/312/FUL. Mr. O’Brien, 8,Brynffrwd Close Coychurch. CF35 5EP. Detached double garage.
P/18/492/RES. The Welsh Minister. Land East of the A48(Crackhill} Brocastle. Reserved matters to P/16/549/OUT. Approval of landscaping within development site.
P/18/444/FUL. Mr. Butler plot 7 Waterton Lane Waterton CF31 3YE. Construction of Orangery to existing dwelling approved under P/16/1026/RES.
P/18/445/FUL. Mr. Butler Plot 8 Waterton Lane Waterton. CF31 3YE. Alterations to approved dwelling P/16/1026/RES. Construction double garage and convert existing garage to family room.
Objections
Nil
Comments
Nil
Permissions.
P/18/306/FUL- Jump Jam Unit 2 2 Horsfair Road WIE CF31 3YN. Proposed canopy
infill.
Refused.
Nil.
Other
1668. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.
There was no business under this heading.
1669 .TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.
Cllr. Philip Davies presented the Footpaths/ROW report for July.
Cllr. Davies reported he had spoken to Andrew Mason of BCBC’s Footpaths / ROW asking why he had
not responded to our repeated requests for a progress report on the list of outstanding items. Mr. Mason
advised that he had been off work ill and his department has experienced recent cutbacks in staff and
finances. He did deliver the markers for the marker posts previously delivered. Cllr Davies has discussed
with the Golf Club and they will provide the resources to install the marker posts and markers.
Cllr. Davies reported he had recently walked footpath 13. He had managed to get through to Mannings and the main road although he was not sure the diversion was as expected. New kissing gates are in place on the path leading from the golf course to the field leading to Torcoed farm and also where the path ends. There are also new gates leading into Torcoed farm and on the track leading to the main road. Good progress has been made. The path is still blocked in front of the barn behind Alan Fairfax’s house however the gate at the rear of the farm has been replaced.
The main issue outstanding is for BCBC ROW to resolve with the land owner the blockage/closure of the
footpath by the barn at Coed-y-Mwstwr- Isaf- Farm. Either the original footpath should be reopened or an official diversion introduced.

The Clerk has emailed Andrew Mason asking with a meeting within him to discuss the above.

It was reported by Cllr. Smith that Footpath No.7 is very overgrown. The Clerk will contact BCBC
Footpaths/ROW to get them to get Network Rail to clear it.

1670. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH.
Borough Cllr. Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables s was not in attendance..
1671. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCII.
The Community Council received a letter from Mrs. Nia Davies Chair of Coychurch PTA and Friends requesting a donation towards the cost of the Summer Carnival held at the School. It was proposed seconded and unanimously agreed that the sum of £250 be donated to the PTA. Cllr. Philip Davies took no part in the discussions or vote having previously declared an interest.
1672. TO RECEIVE THE RESPONSIBLE FINANCIAL OFICER’S REPORT AND ACCOUNTS.
The RFO presented the Finance Report and Yearend Accounts as at the 30th June 2018. He reported that the Income for this year was £20,589.97 and Expenditure £8,464.40. A gain of £11,890.57. Bank Balances were checked and confirmed at £15,951.29. The Accounts were confirmed and the Chairman signed the Statement of the Accounts and confirmed the bank balances.
1673. TO DISCUSS THE PRECEPT FOR 2018/2019.
The Precept Actual v Budget Report for 2018/19 was reviewed as at the 30thJune 2018. Actual spending was in
line with the Precept/Budget. £11,890 of the £19,540 Precept has been spent.
It was agreed that the Council should progress the purchase of a bench and planter to replace the two old benches
at the entrance to Manor Drive. This will now be actioned by the Clerk.
Following discussions regarding the number and locations of litter/waste bins, it was agreed that up to 6 new bins will be purchased, Suggestions for locations are, at the style of footpath 13 by Shelf Farm, at the bend at the middle of the footpath between Main Road and Glenwood Close, at the Court by the junction with St Mary’s View, at the start of the footpath at the end of Treoes Road, and the on the Waterton Estate, still to be specified. The Clerk will contact Mr. John Rees of BCBC asking him to visit each location with the Clerk, to confirm the exact cost for each bin including service charges.
Apart from the repair of the wire meshing around the kick about area, funds are still available to spend on the Play Park. Suggestions including a Picnic Bench will be finalised at September’s Council meeting.
Regarding the main footpaths in the village it was agreed that these should be cleared in between May and October of each year and a schedule produced and costs obtained for implementation next year. Cllr. Smith agreed to prepare a schedule for presentation at September’s meeting.
1674. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS.
Payment of cheques numbered 1523 /1528 totalling £1,645.19 were approved and signed.
1675. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
Cllr Davies reported he had investigated the cost of installing Solar powered Christmas lights in the ward. The lights come in halves, give 5 hours of light per day, are delivered, installed and removed by the company supplying them. Coity Council uses them and there may be cost savings by ordering with them.
Cllr. Davies will progress and present a more detailed costing at September’s meeting.
Cllr. Smith reported the large potholes in Glenwood Close still had not been repaired. The Clerk had previously reported the potholes to BCBC but will do so again
The Clerk reported that he and Cllr. Gwilliam had received copies of the latest Bridgend LDP report. The report will be circulated for Councillors to review.
1676. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.
No members of the public were present.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.38pm.

 
Signed Chairman……………………………………11th September 2018