Council Minutes September 2018

Minutes of the meeting of Coychurch Lower Community Council held at
the Council Meeting Room at the Williams Memorial Hall
on Tuesday the 11th September 2018 at 7.15 pm.

PRESENT. Chairman Cllr. Mrs. Helen Evans, Cllr. Ms Penelope Gwilliam, Cllr. Richard Smith, Cllr. Mark Evans, Cllr. Robert Hyde and the Clerk Paul Smith. Borough Cllr. Dr. Elaine venables was also in attendance.
1677. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Apologies for absence were received from Cllr. Miss Jayne Brace, delayed in traffic and Cllr. Philip Davies on holiday.
1678. MINUTES.
The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday10th July 2018 copies having previously been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman. There were no matters arising.
1679. TO CO-OPT MR MARK EVANS AND MR ROBERT HYDE ONTO THE COMMUNITY COUNCIL.
A motion to co-opt Mr. Mark Evans and Mr. Robert Hyde on to the Community Council was proposed seconded and unanimously passed. They signed the Declaration of a Councillor and Code of Conduct, witnessed and signed by the Clerk.
1680. TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL PREJUDICIAL OR FINANCIAL INTEREST.
There were no declarations of interest.
1681. TO ACCEPT AND APPROVE THE ANNUAL RETURN AND DISCUSS AND ADDRESS ISSUES RAISED BY THE EXTERNAL AUDITORS.
The Annual Return for 2017/2018 certified by the external auditors was accepted and approved by the Community Council. The issues raised by the external auditors were noted and will be actioned as soon as possible.
1682. TO ADOPT THE COUNCIL’s LATEST STANDING ORDERS.
A motion to adopt the new Model Standing Orders was proposed seconded and unanimously passed.
1683. CLERKS REPORT.
 Clearing of overgrowing vegetation from the footpath at the back of Glenwood Drive over the railway crossing has been cleared by John Hanmer and Network Rail. The footpath between Main road and Glenwood Close has also been cleared
 Regarding clearing of vegetation from the Brook. Natural Resources Rivers originally advised that the clearance work was scheduled for August but there were a few Ducks still nestling in the Brook and they cannot start the work until the Ducks have gone. The Clerk contacted NRR again and is awaiting a response as to when the clearance work will be started.
 Reference new litter bins The Clerk met with John Rees of BCBC on Friday 7th September and visited the locations planned for the new litter/waste bins. Mr Rees confirmed that BCBC buy the bins in bulk and can order on our behalf. He will email the cost of the bins and agreed locations. He also agreed to attend October’s Council meeting to brief the Council on the TIKSPAC scheme.
 Reference the purchase of a bench and two planters to replace the two old benches at the entrance to Manor Drive? The bench has been delivered and the planters are expected on the 15th September 2018.
 The Clerk attended the Town & Community Clerks meeting on the 22nd August 2018 at BCBC’s Civic Offices, Issues covered included CAT – poor communication between BCBC and Town & Community Councils, Code of Conduct training. Playing Fields CAT transfers and Social Media.
 The old telephone box has been removed by BT. The space created can now utilised and suggestions to be discussed at the next Council meeting.
 Notification received from BCBC Highways department of the temporary road closure of the A48/A473 Waterton Roundabout. Details on notice board.
 Lynne Callaway of Duffryn Close emailed about the continuing problem of the overgrowing trees in front of her house and the urgent need to cut them back. The Clerk emailed BCBC again asking them to cut back the trees. BCBC advised that the trees have been assessed and
are found to be healthy and show no signs of decay, and are not causing any obstruction to the highway. As such the Authority will not be undertaking any works at this time. Lynne Callaway also identified the problem of overgrowing weeds along stretches of Duffryn Close.
 The Clerk wrote to BCBC asking them to remove and if possible replace the four dead trees on the land in front of Hawthorn Drive. No response to date.
 The Clerk spoke to Sue Hurry Head Teacher of Coychurch Primary regarding the “success” of the two weeks Summer School held at the school during the summer holidays. She advised that there had been a few “teething problems” but was an overall success. She confirmed that the School is willing to host a two week Summer School next year.
 Email received from Mr. Chris Howell asking that he would like to know what the Community Councillors have been doing to challenge these dog walkers who allow their dogs off the lead to run wild and defecate in the playing field without their owners picking up. The Councils understanding is that BCBC’s consultation in this respect has not been completed. This is BCBC’s land and responsibility and if they bring in a complete ban on dogs from playing fields then they should be capable of enforcing it.
 Email received from the Boundary Commission for Wales advising that it has now submitted its Final Recommendations Report for the 2018 Review of Parliamentary Constituencies in Wales. Copy to all.
 Email from Andrew Mason BCBC’s Rights of Way manager advising of a proposed diversion of footpath 19, proposed extinguishment of Footpath 18 and creation of two link paths. To be discussed under Footpaths/Row.
 Letter received from Mrs Lloyd and Mrs Lobo notifying the Community Council that they are setting up a Coychurch Toddlers Group and are asking for a donation to meet start up costs.
1684. TO DISCUSS THE PURCHASE OF A DEFIBRILLATOR(s) FOR THE WARD.
The Chairman advised that she has resubmitted the application for a lottery grant for the three defibrillators. Until we get a reply as to whether or not the application is successful, nothing more can be done at this time.
1685. TO DEAL WITH MATTERS CONCERNING THE POLICE.
The Police Report forwarded by PCSO Sam Dance for August 2018 was presented by the Clerk.
1686. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING PLANNING.
Applications.
A/18/17ADV Merson Signs. B&Q Unit 1 Retail Park WIE. Proposed new signage.
P/18/561/FUL S.A. Brain & Co Ltd. White Horse Inn Main Road Coychurch. Erection of Play Area in grounds of property.
A/18/20/ADV Mason Owen. Saint Hilary Centre Davis Street BIE. Free standing sign displaying occupied tenants.
Objections
Nil
Comments
A/18/17ADV.The Community Council commented that it strongly believes that
the signs should be kept within the footprint of the B&Q building.
P/18/561/FUL. The Community Council commented that some car parking slots
will be lost and add to the parking congestion problems already experienced in the
adjacent street.
Permissions.
Nil
Withdrawn
P/18/444/FUL. Mr. Butler plot 7 Waterton Lane Waterton CF31 3YE.
Construction of Orangery to existing dwelling approved under P/16/1026/RES.
Refused.
Nil.
Other
Nil
1687. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.
The Council discussed the two serious vehicle accidents that recently occurred. One was at the crossing of the B4181 at the western exit from the village and one at the junction at Singletons. It was agreed that the Clerk should write to BCBC pointing out the need for safety/vehicle control measures to be introduced at these two junctions of the B4181.
1688.TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.
The Clerk presented the Footpaths/ROW report for September. Following discussions with the Golf Club Cllr. Davis has arranged with the Club to install the marker posts and markers at the earliest opportunity. The main issue still outstanding is for BCBC ROW to resolve with the land owner the blockage/closure of the footpath by the barn at Coed-y-Mwstwr- Isaf- Farm. Either the original footpath should be reopened or an official diversion introduced. It is understood that the property is up for sale. The Clerk has emailed Andrew Mason again asking him for a progress report on the situation. Email received from Andrew Mason BCBC’s Rights of Way manager advising of a proposed diversion of Footpath19, proposed extinguishment of Footpath 18 and creation of two link paths. The Council has 28 days to respond from the 4th September and it is recommended that a site visit is made to confirm that there is no adverse affect on ROW access in the area.
1689. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH.                                                                                Borough Cllr. Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables s was in attendance. Cllr. Venables explained that the £5,000 Community fund should be continued for another year but this needs confirmation. Possible ideas for next year’s funding were discussed.
1690. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCII.
There was no business under this heading.
1691. TO REVIEW THE PRECEPT v ACTUAL FOR 2018/2019.
The Precept Actual v Budget Report for 2018/19 was reviewed as at the 31st August2018. Actual spending was
less than the planned Precept/Budget. The main areas to be addressed are, £950 still to be spent on the Play
Park and £1,500 to be spent on Christmas decorations. The Chairman advised she will confirm the cost of
putting up and removing the lights at the triangle so the amount available for spending on Christmas lights can be
confirmed at October’s meeting.
1692. TO DISCUSS THE PRECEPT FOR 2019/2020.
The Precept for 2019/2010 was discussed. The Clerk advised Council members that items proposed for next years
Precept should be presented at October’s meeting including costs. It was agreed that the Council will fund next
year’s two week Summer School to be held at Coychurch Primary School.
1693. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS.
Payment of cheques numbered 1529 /1533 totalling £2,028.78 were approved and signed.
1694. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
Cllr. Gwilliam asked why BCBC had not cut the entire verge which backs on to residents properties along the A473 when cutting all of the central reservation. The Clerk advised that BCBC has been asked on many occasions by the Community Council to cu back this area of grass and vegetation but they have said they are not obligated to do so. The Clerk will write to BCBC again on this matter..
Cllr Gwilliam asked what was happening concerning the Japanese Knot weed at the back of the Court. The Clerk advised that BCBC has already confirmed that they will be treating/spraying the Knotweed in September. The Clerk will follow up with BCBC and Cllr. Venables.
The poor condition of many street signs in the village was raised by Cllr. Mark Evans. The Clerk advised that this has been raised with BCBC before with no response other than funds are not available.. However it was agreed that the Clerk will write to BCBC again on this matter.
1695. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.
No members of the public were present.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.50 pm.

Signed Chairman……………………………………9th October 2018