Council Minutes November 2018

Minutes of the meeting of Coychurch Lower Community Council held at
the Council Meeting Room at the Williams Memorial Hall
on Tuesday the 13th November 2018 at 7.15 pm.

PRESENT. Chairman Cllr. Mrs. Helen Evans, Cllr. Miss Jayne Brace, Cllr. Philip Davies, Cllr. Robert Hyde, Cllr. Mark Evans, Cllr. Richard Smith and the Clerk Paul Smith. Mr & Mrs Sewell were in attendance.
1714. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Apologies for absence were received from Cllr. Ms Penelope Gwilliam who is on vacation.
1715. MINUTES.
The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday 9th October 2018 copies having previously been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman. There were no matters arising.
1716. TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL PREJUDICIAL OR FINANCIAL INTEREST.
There were no declarations of interest.
1717. CLERKS REPORT.
• Regarding the clearing of vegetation from the Brook. Natural Resources Rivers has now carried out clearance work but there is still a section of the Brook with weeds in it.
• The six new litter/waste bins have been purchased from Glasdon and have been received by BCBC. John Rees will advise the date for installing the bins next week.
• Reference faded and damaged street signs in the village. So far only two have been have been identified.
• Two new slightly smaller planters have been purchased and delivered. It was agreed that the two planters will be located by the bench at the entrance to Manor Drive.
• Bridgend/Cardiff/Vale Area Committee was held on Monday 22nd October 2018 in Annex 3 the Old Hall High Street Cowbridge. Cllr. Davies was in attendance.
• The Town and Community Council Forum meeting will be held on Tuesday 27th November 2018 at the Council Chamber BCBC Civic Offices Angel Street Bridgend. Cllr. Gwilliam to attend.
• Code of Conduct training for Town & Community Councillors was held on Monday 29th October in the Council Chamber Civic Offices Angel Street Bridgend. Cllrs Ms P. Gwilliam was in attendance. Copies of the latest Code of Conduct and presentations have also been circulated to Council members.
• Following discussions with Mr. Alan McGregor of Plantscape the Community Council were able to reduce the cost for putting up 12 (half size) solar powered Christmas Decorations from £1,376 plus VAT to £897 plus VAT. These have now been ordered. Installation is planned for early morning of the 23rd November. Lights will be on from 1st December and will operate between 6pm and 11pm.
• The Remembrance Sunday Service was held at St Crallos Church on the 11th November and was followed by a wreath laying ceremony and a minutes silence at the Williams Memorial Hall. The Chairman laid a wreath on behalf of the Community Council.
• The Coychurch Gardening Society has returned the Cup presented for the winner of the best Front Garden Competition to the Community Council because they are no longer holding the competition. The Community Council will look at the possibility of organizing the competition next year.
• Moss Technical has been contacted regarding setting up the Christmas lights at the triangle in Coychurch so that they are operational for the 1st December.
• Email received from Mr & Mrs Howell bringing to the attention of the Community Council the effects of “The toxic school run” on children’s health. The Council are aware of this issue and know that Mrs Hurry Head Teacher of Coychurch Primary School is actively encouraging children to walk or cycle to school to try to reduce this problem.
• Email received from One Voice Wales notifying the Council of Bridgend Boundary change- Stakeholder Meeting on the 27th November in the Sports Hall Bridgend Life Centre. Copy to all.

1718. TO DISCUSS THE PURCHASE OF A DEFIBRILLATOR(s) FOR THE WARD.
The Chairman advised that there seems little hope of getting a grant for purchase of the defibrillators. The Community Council will now look for alternative funding. It was agreed that the cost of one defibrillator should be included in next year’s Precept.
1719. TO DEAL WITH MATTERS CONCERNING THE POLICE.
The Police Report for October 2018 was forwarded by PCSO Sam Dance,
1720. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING PLANNING.
PLANNING November 2018
Applications.
A/18/23/ADV. Engenie Ltd. Banks Building Access Road BIE. Two circular Dibond signs and 2 rectangular Dibond signs.
A/18/24/ADV. TAPI Carpets Unit 10, Royal London Park Waterton, Two illuminated flex box signs to front and side, one goods in sign and one replacement total Graphic.
P/18/841/FUL. HFD Bridgend. Horsefair Road WIE.One new loading dock to front of Warehouse.
P/18/850/FUL. Mr. P Evans and Mrs C Rawnsley. Two storey extension to the existing building Brodawel Farm Coychurch.
P/17/369/RLX. Ward Jones Bridgend Ltd. Land off Horsefair Road WIE.Variations 1 and 5 of P/16/472/FUL
Objections
A/18/24/ADV. The Community Council has already objected on the grounds that the west facing sign serves no practical use, causes light pollution and interferes with residents quality of life in the house opposite.
P/17/369/RLX.
It was decided that the Council will object to this application since the Council believe that relaxing conditions 1 and 5 has proposed by Ward Jones will have a detrimental affect on the amenity of the residents of Treoes.
Comments
Nil
Permissions.
P/18/746/FUL Engenie Ltd. Cherry Laural Banks building BIE. Installation of 2
electric vehicle charging points alongside expiating car parking spaces.
Withdrawn
Nil
Refused.
Nil
Other
Nil
1721. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.
The Clerk reconfirmed that he had written to Jason Jenkins of BCBC reference the recent accidents at the junction at the west end of the village and at Singletons. No response to date.
Cllr Brace reported that there had been two accidents on the A473. One is at the entrance to Mannings and the other at the entrance to Coed Park. These may be have been avoided if adequate signage had been available on the cycle path to warn cyclists of the entrances which they have to cross, The Clerk will write to BCBC Highways to ask them to review the signage at these locations.
1722.TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.
Cllr. Philip Davies presented the Footpath report for November 2018.
Cllr Davies distributed copies of the Footpath map for the Ward to Council members..
He reported that it is planned to install the marker posts and markers at the Golf Club later this
month. The Golf Club were unable to do it last month.
A schedule will be prepared for walking one of the footpaths each month, starting in the New Year. It is intended to promote and publicise walking of the footpaths next, involving residents, community groups and the school
The council has written to Andrew Mason BCBC ROW manager again requesting an update on the progress made with the owner of the land and barn at Coed -y-Mwstwr -Isaf farm Alan Fairfax concerning the reopening or the diverting of the blocked footpath on his land. It was stressed that this needs to be resolved as soon as possible. Legally the footpath should be reopened now particularly since there is not a lot of work needed to clear the existing blockage.
1723. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH.
Cllr. Dr. Mrs Elaine Venables sent her apologies as she is unwell.
1724. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCIL.
There was no business under this heading.
1725. TO REVIEW THE PRECEPT v ACTUAL FOR 2018/2019.
The Precept Actual v Budget Report for 2018/19 was reviewed as at the 31st October 2018. Actual spending
is less than the planned Precept/Budget. There remains still remains £950 to be spent on the Play Park. The
Chairman asked clarification as to what the contingency account can be used for? The Clerk explained that it was
for emergencies and unspecified costs such as covering for the Clerks sickness for example or an unexpected
election cost. The Clerk will get further clarification.
1726. TO DISCUSS THE PRECEPT FOR 2019/2020.
The Precept for 2019/2010 was discussed. It was agreed that a cost should be included to develop the area where
the old BT telephone box was at the entrance to the Play Park and for the purchase of one defibrillator. The clerk
will circulate a copy of the updated Precept to Council members. The Precept must be finalized at December’s
meeting.
1727. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS.
Payment of cheques numbered 1536 /1542 totalling £3,880.04 were approved and signed.
1728. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
Cllr. Smith again reported the poor condition of the roads in Glenwood Close due to the numerous large potholes. The Clerk will write to BCBC again,
Cllr Davies reported that the problem of overgrowing vegetation obstructing paths in the village was on the increase again. It was agreed that properties that are causing an obstruction should be reported to the Clerk.
Cllr Brace raised the problem of fireworks causing distress to sheep and horses and domestic pets. Firework displays are occurring before and after Bonfire Night. People need to have some consideration when organizing firework displays.
1729. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.
Mr & Mrs Sewell brought to the Councils attention, their concerns that the Brook was not properly
cleared by NRR and could result in possible flooding. They were advised the NRR have been on two
occasions to clear it and only a small section currently as weeds in it. However the Clerk will contact
NRR again to see if they can return to clear it and also contact Cllr. Venables who has also been in contact
with NRR regarding this matter.
They were also concerned that Dog Fouling is on the increase again. The Council explained that those dog
owners not cleaning up after their dogs is a very small minority. . The Community Council has purchased six new litter bins which will be placed on dog walking routes. It is hoped this will encourage all dog owner to bin their dog’s waste. Additionally the Community Council will be participating in the new TIKSPAC scheme which originated from Sweden and is basically a post with dog bags attached to provide dog walkers with easy access to dog bags. Trials have been carried out in two locations with good results. The project will start with 20 poles, with 2 allocated to Coychurch Lower. The poles will be located on existing dog walking routes.
They also asked Cllr Davies about litter on the playing field. He advised that has checked and spoken to the
footballers using the field to ask them to bin or take their rubbish away. There are different teams using the field and some litter is still being left particularly plastic bottles. He will continue to monitor the situation and speak to them again.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.58 pm.

Signed Chairman……………………………………11th December 2018