Council Minutes February 2019

Minutes of the meeting of Coychurch Lower Community Council held at  the Council Meeting Room at the Williams Memorial Hall    on Tuesday the 12th February 2019 at 7.15 pm.

PRESENT.  Chairman Cllr. Mrs. Helen Evans, Cllr. Ms Penelope Gwilliam, Cllr. Miss Jayne Brace,    Cllr Philip Davies, Cllr. Richard Smith, Cllr. Robert Hyde, Cllr. Mark Evans and the Clerk Paul Smith. Also present were Borough Cllr. Dr. Elaine Venables Mrs Mary Hughes and Mrs Sue Richardson.

1762. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.

Apologies for absence were received from Cllr. Ms Penelope Gwilliam who is on vacation and Cllr. Robert Hyde who is ill.

  1. MINUTES.

The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday 8th January 2019 copies having previously been circulated were proposed, seconded, approved and signed by the Chairman. There were no matters arising.

  1. TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL PREJUDICIAL OR FINANCIAL INTEREST.

There were no declarations of interest.

  1. TO RECEIVE A PRESENTATION ON CAPITAL ASSET TRANSFERS FROM MR.GUY SMITH OF BCBC.

Mr. Guy Smith gave a detailed presentation on Capital Asset Transfers (CAT) specifically discussing Coychurch Playing Field and Pavilion. The sum of £1,000,000 has been allocated by BCBC for CAT of Playing Fields. However regarding Coychurch Playing Field and Pavilion this can only be offered on a short term three year agreement because this land is included in a review of new schools planning under Band B. Mr. Smith advised that regarding Coychurch Play Park no funds are currently available for CAT and if the Community Council wanted to make improvements to the Play Park this would have to be done through the Town & Community Grant Scheme on a fifty/fifty funding basis, subject to funding being available. Following further discussion the Community Council felt that there is no real benefit in entering into a short term lease agreement for transfer of the Playing Field and/or Pavilion. The Chairman thanked Mr. Smith for his time and for clearly explaining the issues surrounding CAT.

  1. TO DISCUSS AND CONFIRM THE POSITION OF CLERK/RFO TO THE COMMUNITY COUNCIL.

The Chairman advised that following interviews with three short listed candidates held by herself, Cllr. Penelope Gwilliam and the Paul Smith the Clerk/Hall Manager they unanimously agreed that Mrs. Mabyn Thomas be recommended for the position of Clerk/RFO. This was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed. However Cllr. Davies and Cllr. Brace expressed concerns that although they had advised the Chairman they were available for interviews they were not involved with the final selection process. It was agreed that this should not happen again.

  1. CLERKS REPORT.
  • Two of the new litter/waste bins have been installed. Four are still waiting fitting. One requires confirmation of the exact location. The Chairman and Clerk recently met with John Rees and Kevin Reaney of BCBC to discuss bin locations with them. They advised that there is an issue with the one which leads through the footpath to Glenwood Close from Main Road as it was felt that it was quite restricting for the public and they will need to look at this again.  He also advised that the bin which the Council requested to be placed down at the Range would pose particular problems for the servicing team as it would take quite a bit of time out of their schedule. After some discussion it was agreed that the one planned by the Range will now be fitted on the path between Manor Drive and Brynfrwdd Close. One will be fitted at the Bryn as originally agreed and they will try to find a suitable location between Main Road and Glenwood close. If not it will be fitted at the Glenwood side of the footpath.
  • Subsequent to the meeting they later advised that they have replaced a post mounted bin with a larger stand alone bin for the footpath between Manor Drive and Brynffrwd Close. They are still having problems finding a suitable location for the Bin planned for Glenwood.          It was agreed that the Clerk should contact John Rees to ask why the bin cannot be fitted at Glenwood and to advise him that the location of the sixth bin should be on the footpath by the Ford Factory.
  • With regards to the Tikspac dog fouling post it was agreed that that this will be fitted by the bin at the Bryn. Once the bins are installed BCBC will start placing the dog fouling posters/stickers on them. The sixth bin will be kept by BCBC until a location is agreed.  Mr Reaney advised that BCBC is aware of the litter problem around the A473 and that BCBc does clear the litter when needed.
  • Davies attended the One Voice Wales Bridgend/Vale/Cardiff Area meeting held at Annexe 5, the Old Hall High Street, Cowbridge CF71 7AH at 7pm on Monday 14th January 2019. Cllr Davies reported that business covered included: Notification that there is a U Tube video for the Code of Conduct training.
  • Introduction of an award ceremony for innovative ideas proposed by Councillors.     Discussion as to where Council tax charged on new houses built in the current financial year goes?
  • The cost of a local election can be very expensive. The cost needs to be included in future Precepts.
  • The Review of the Electoral Arrangements of the County Borough of Bridgend was received and distributed. The Commission is providing notice that the period of representation is from 22nd January to 15 April 2019. It was agreed that this will be put on the Agenda for discussion at Marchs Meeting.
  • Confirmation received from BCBC that Dog Fouling signs can be fitted to street lights in the Ward. Following from earlier discussions it was agreed that two dozen adhesive Dog Fouling posters should be purchased. Chairman to action.
  • Notification received From BCBC that the next Town & Community Council Forum will be held on Tuesday 26th February 2019 at 4pm at BCBC’s offices Angel Street Bridgend. Cllr. Penelope Gwilliam has advised she will no longer be able to attend these Forums. See Agenda.
  • Letter received from Leanne Rowlands Wellbeing Manager Play & Family Support thanking the Community Council for their support for the two week Summer School held at Coychurch Primary School. Attendance was Week 1 70, Week 2 Regarding the Summer School for 2019 to be funded by the Council Precept Mrs Hurry Head Teacher of Coychurch Primary School contacted the Clerk to ask the Community Council to write to the Board of Governors to confirm that the Governors have no objections to the Summer School being held at the School again. Clerk to action.
  • Letter received from Egni-Coop an awarding winning solar pv co-op looking for building roofs in community centres. Copy to all.
  • Notice received from BCBC reference off street parking places at Rest Bay Car Park, Brackla 1 Multi Storey Car Park the Rhiw Multi Storey Car Park and the Bowls Car Park. It is proposed that an out of hours release fee of £50 will be charged. Any objections must be received by 14th February 2019.
  • Order and payment forwarded to Welsh Hearts for the purchase of a Defibrillator and Cabinet for the Waterton Estate.
  • Order and payment forwarded to Meika/Primrose for the purchase of a large planter as per the Precept.
  • Donation to the Pencoed Silver Band of £100 to be discussed as per Precept. See donations.
  • Unfortunately not all of the information from the ITCS Council website has been transferred to the new website. The Clerk is currently discussing with Steve Wheller of Arts by Design to see how quickly the new website can be updated since some of the information needs to be accessible to the public at all times.
  1. TO DISCUSS THE VACANCY ON THE TOWN & COMMUNITY FORUM.

Cllr. Penelope Gwilliam has advised she will no longer be able to attend these Forums. After some discussion none of the Council members were able to take up this vacancy. It will be put on the Agend

A for March’s Meeting.

  1. TO DEAL WITH MATTERS CONCERNING THE POLICE.

The Police Report for January 2019 was forwarded by PCSO Sam Dance and reviewed by the Council.

  1. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING PLANNING.   

PLANNING February 2019

The following planning issues were discussed and agreed.

Applications.    

P/19/40/APN Mr. P. Evans Maes Y Delyn Main Road Coychurch. Prior notification for a replacement barn to store Hay and Farm Machinery.

A/19/2/ADV DST Inovations Ltd Morien House BIE. Digital Screen on North facing elevation.

P/19/54/FUL Who Clothing/Cheap Thrills Coffee.1D Kingsway Buildings BIE. Retention of mixed A3 and B1 use to accommodate 150sq ft coffee shop at front of unit.

P/19/58/FUL Mr. R. Dalia.Zone 3( former Harman Motive site) off North Road BIE. Change of use from B2 to B8.

P/19/996/FUL Willmott Dixon. Soukt Wales Police HQ Cowbridge Road Bridgend. construction of a retaining wall, diversion of sewer and construction of a temporary compound.

Objections

Nil

Comments

P/19/54/FUL. Although my Council is not objecting to the application the Council is of the opinion that this will probably increase the short term parking in the areA where there is insufficient space for existing parking needs

P/19/58/FUL. The Community Council is concerned that if they are moving from general business use to storage and distribution this will include a large number of HGVs coming and going along North Road. This is already a congested area and further HGVs will exacerbate the noise and diesel pollution suffered by villagers in Coychurch backing onto the dual carriageway and the children walking to and from school. It will also impact on people walking to the shops on the Bridgend Industrial Estate from both Coychurch and the Waterton Industrial Estate.

Permissions. 

P/18/996/FUL. Willmot Dixon. South Wales Police HQ Cowbridge Road Bridgend. Construction of a retaining wall, diversion of sewer and construction of temporary compound.

P/18/841/FUL. HFD Bridgend. Horsefair Road WIE. One new loading dock to front of Warehouse.

 .Withdrawn

Nil

  Refused.

Nil

   Other 

Asbri Planning. Publicity and Consultation before applying for Planning. Permisson. Development of Police Learning Centre and Human Resources Building South Wales Police HQ. Cowbridge Road Bridgend.

  1. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.

The Chairman advised that two cars with for sale signs on are parking in a dangerous position opposite the

eastern entrance of the village, Clerk to notify BCBC.

1772.TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.

Cllr. Davies reported that,

Andrew Mason Footpaths /ROW Manager replied to our earlier requests and confirmed that;

“Following receipt of your email I can confirm that myself and the new Countryside Access Maintenance Officer, Gareth Owen, inspected Footpaths 7 and 8 Coychurch Lower on the 16th January 2019. During those inspections it was noted that an ivy-covered tree branch had indeed fallen from the adjoining land onto the diverted route of Footpath 7 Coychurch Lower and was partially blocking the route. Generally the removal of the same would be the responsibility of the owner of the land from where the tree had fallen. In this particular case, however, and as you can see from the photographs below we were able to move the branch off the footpath so that the footpath is now clear of any obstruction.
In regard to Footpath 8 Coychurch Lower the inspection revealed that one of the step risers has partially rotted. I can confirm, therefore, that I have advised Network Rail of this and requested them to repair the step as soon as possible.
Turning now to your request for an update in regard to the diversion/reopening of Footpaths 12 and 13 I would advise that the Council has put forward alternative proposals for the diversion following the landowners refusal to accept the original proposal. To date we have not received any feedback from the landowner in respect of the updated proposal and have recently requested him to respond within a set timescale. If we do not receive any feedback within the timescale requested then the Rights of Way section will determine what action to take to reopen both routes.
I trust that the following information will be of assistance to you and your Council, however, should you, or they, have any further queries just let me know.”

The Community Council replied thanking Mr. Mason for his prompt response and asking him to keep the Community Council updated regarding their discussions with the landowner regarding the diversion/reopening.Cllr Davies advised that a couple more marker posts are needed and this will be discussed with BCBC

Footpaths/ROW.

1773. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH.                                                        

Cllr. Dr. Mrs Elaine Venables reported on the proposed changes on the Review of the Electoral Arrangements for Bridgend and expressed her concerns with the recommendation to split the existing Brackla Ward into four smaller Wards and to form a new Ward which will be called Brackla East and Coychurch Lower. The Community Council advised Cllr. Venables that they are of the Review’s proposals will be discussing this matter at March’s Committee Meeting.

Cllr. Venables also reported on the Bridgend Local Development Plan of which the Council is aware. Land identified and included in the LDP will still require full planning applications if building on any land is applied for.

  1. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCIL.

It was proposed, seconded and agreed that a donation of £100 should be given to the Pencoed Silver Band for

there support and participation at the Community Christmas Carol Service.

  1. TO REVIEW THE PRECEPT v ACTUAL FOR 2018/2019.

The Precept Actual v Budget Report for 2018/19 was reviewed as at the 31st January 2019. Actual spendingwas slightly less than the planned Precept/Budget. In the Reserve there is £950 Play Park grant. The £200 unspent on Footpaths will be spent this month clearing some of the overgrown footpaths in the village.

  1. TO RECEIVE THE RESPONSIBLE FINANCIAL OFFICERS REPORT AND ACCOUNTS.

The RFO presented the accounts as at 31st December 2018. He reported that the Income for

the year was £22,670.25 and Expenditure £17,661.90, a Gain of £5,008.35.   Bank Balances were

checked and confirmed at £9,069.07. The Chairman signed the Statement of the Accounts and confirmed

the Bank Balances by signing the Bank Statements.                              

  1. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS.

Payment of cheques numbered 1548 /1551 totalling £2,500.98 were approved and signed.

  1. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.

Cllr Mark Evans has resigned from the Community Council effective 11th February 2019 due to

increasing work commitments.

The Chairman reported that the Coychurch Gardening Competition will be held this year and she has

already obtained the services of a Judge. There will be three categories this year though exact details still

have to be confirmed. It was agreed that the matter should be put on March’s Agenda for further

discussion.

  1. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.

Mrs Richardson briefed the Community Council on her idea of creating a “Wildlife Friendly” environment in the village by getting the community involved. Developing green areas with wild flowers and a litter free village environment. To purchase locally sourced wooden benches/planters etc. Working in conjunction with the school and other groups and associations to create a village Hub. The Community Council fully supported the idea and will look at ways of progressing this with Mrs Richardson.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 9. 13 pm

 

   Signed Chairman……………………………………12th March 2019

Tags: No tags

Comments are closed.