Council Minutes January 2019

Minutes of the meeting of Coychurch Lower Community Council held at
the Council Meeting Room at the Williams Memorial Hall
on Tuesday the 8th January 2019 at 7.15 pm.

PRESENT. Chairman Cllr. Mrs. Helen Evans, Cllr. Ms Penelope Gwilliam, Cllr. Miss Jayne Brace, Cllr Philip Davies, Cllr. Richard Smith, Cllr. Robert Hyde, Cllr. Mark Evans and the Clerk Paul Smith. Mr. Brian Sewell and Mrs. Denise Manship were also in attendance.
1746. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
There were no apologies for absence.
1747. MINUTES.
The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday 11th December 2018 copies having previously been circulated were proposed, seconded, approved and signed by the Chairman. There were no matters arising.
1748. TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL PREJUDICIAL OR FINANCIAL INTEREST.
There were no declarations of interest.
1749. CLERKS REPORT.
• The six new litter/waste bins purchased from Glasdon are in storage at BCBC. John Rees expects them to be installed in the next few weeks,
• The problem of overgrowing vegetation obstructing paths in the village is on the increase again. It was agreed that Council members will identify specific properties where obstructions are occurring and then contact the residents concerned to ask them to cut back the overgrowing vegetation.
• The Welsh Government proposes to develop a package of resources for Community and Town Councils to increase their awareness and help increase their use of Welsh. The package will include practical resources and support in the most appropriate format whether that is online, in hard copy or delivered in other ways to assist individual Councils to increase their use of Welsh. They have asked Councils to complete a short survey.
• Reference the new Web Site the Clerk has prepared and submitted a brief specification of requirements.
• A lot of positive comments have been received from residents about the Christmas lights in the village.
• The Community Christmas Carol Service at St Crallos Church was well attended and was a most enjoyable evening. Particular thanks to the Pencoed Silver Band. The sum of £144.85 was collected for Coychurch Toddlers Group.
• Notification has been received from One Voice Wales that their Bridgend/Vale/Cardiff Area meeting will be held at Annexe 5, the Old Hall High Street, Cowbridge CF71 7AH at 7pm on Monday 14th January 2019. Cllr. Davies will attend.
• Information received from the Welsh Government regarding Sustainable Drainage Statutory Guidance (SUDS). Copy to all.
• Email received from Gareth Jones notifying the Council that he had recently walked four footpaths and had prepared a list of the work needed. See footpaths.
1750. TO DISCUSS THE PURCHASE OF A DEFIBRILLATOR(s) FOR THE WARD.
After some discussion it was agreed that the defibrillator planned for the Waterton Estate should be purchased from Welsh Hearts. Welsh Hearts will provide defibrillator training included in the cost.
Regarding the exact location for the Defibrillator on the Waterton Estate the Chairman advised that there were currently two options. Bill Harding Evans of Cartrefni Waterton Lane is prepared to have the defibrillator mounted on the outside boundary wall adjacent to his gate. The other option is to mount the defibrillator on a suitable lamp post, though this will require getting permission from BCBC to tap into the street lights electricity supply.
1751. TO DEAL WITH MATTERS CONCERNING THE POLICE.
The Police Report for December 2018 was forwarded by PCSO Sam Dance and reviewed by the Council.
1752. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING PLANNING.
The following planning issues were discussed and agreed.
Applications.
P/18/788/FUL Mr. N. Candy. Land adjacent to 22, Waterton Close Waterton.
Demolish garage, construct new detached dwelling and new driveway to existing dwelling.
P/18/996/FUL. Willmot Dixon. South Wales Police HQ Cowbridge Road Bridgend. Construction of a retaining wall, diversion of sewer and construction of temporary compound.
Objections
Nil
Comments
P/18/788/FUL. The Community Council commented that there must be sufficient
parking for both houses post construction – i.e. At least 2 parking spaces each as
there is limited space to park on the road and this is a nuisance for neighbours.
Permissions.
P/18/895/FUL. Mr. & Mrs. Williams 22 Glebeland Close Coychurch CF35 5HE. Proposal: Refurbishment of bungalow to include demolition of conservatory, conversion of garage to study, single storey rear extension and flat roof porch/canopy to front
Withdrawn
Nil
Refused.
Nil
Other
Nil
1753. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.
The danger of a serious vehicle accident occurring because vehicles are parking on the road between the
narrowing on Main Road and the junction with Bryn Road was discussed again. It was agreed that the
Community Council should contact Keith Power of BCBC to ask him to come to see the situation for himself
and advise what can be done.
The problem of traffic congestion and accidents occurring at the junction of Coychurch Road and the
B4181 at Singletons was raised again. The Community Council has written to BCBC on several occasions
identifying this problem but with no result. It was suggested and agreed that the Community Council
should liaise with Brackla and Coity Community Councils to see if a joint approach maybe more
effective.
Cllr. Evans raised the problem of vehicles speeding on Bryn Road as they approach the village from the
Bryn and Coed-y-Mstwr. He suggested there that is insufficient signage to notify motorists that they are
approaching a 30MPH limit. It was agreed that the Community Council should confirm exactly what
signage does exist before taking any action. The Clerk will check and advise at the next meeting
1754.TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.
Cllr. Davies reported that,
The Council had received an email from Mr. Gareth Jones notifying the Council that he had recently walked four footpaths and reported work needed on some of the footpaths. He had also cut back over growing brambles. A list of the required work will be forwarded to BCBC Rights of Way department for action.
He also advised that regarding the diversion/reopening of footpath 12/13 at Coed-y-Mwstwr Isaf Farm the situation remains the same. BCBC’s ROW and the landowner are still in discussions to resolve the situation. The Council will contact Andrew Mason of BCBC’s ROW to get an update for the next meeting.
Cllr. Davies also suggested organizing and advertising some footpath walks during the Easter Holidays.
1755. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH.
Cllr. Dr. Mrs Elaine Venables sent her apologies she is unwell and unable to attend.
1756. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCIL.
There was no business under this heading.
1757. TO REVIEW THE PRECEPT v ACTUAL FOR 2018/2019.
The Precept Actual v Budget Report for 2018/19 was reviewed as at the 31st December 2018. Actual spending
was slightly less than the planned Precept/Budget. In the Reserve there is £1500 Defibrillator grant, £950 Play
Park grant. It was agreed that the £200 unspent on Footpaths ROW should be spent clearing some of the
overgrown footpaths in the village. Ideally this should be carried out in March.
1758. TO RECEIVE THE RESPONSIBLE FINANCIAL OFFICERS REPORT AND ACCOUNTS.
The RFO advised that bank statements were unavailable and the accounts could not be fully reconciled
at this time A reconciled set of accounts as at 31st December 2018 will be presented at February’s meeting.
1759. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS.
Payment of cheques numbered 1546 /15475 totalling £815.18 were approved and signed.
1760. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
The Chairman in formed the meeting that the Clerk Paul Smithhas resigned as Clerk/RFO to the
Community Council and as Clerk to the Trustees. The resignation was effective from 4th January 2019 but
the Clerk is willing to stay on until mid March to handover to his successor. The Chairman and council
members thanked the Clerk for the many years service he has given to the community.
Cllr. Smith reported that the tube supporting the wire mess around the kickabout area in the play park
is loose and could cause an injury. It was agreed the Clerk should contact John Germain to carry out
necessary repairs.
Cllr. Davies reported there had generally been positive feedback about the Christmas Light decorations in
the village. Two of the solar powered Christmas lights were not working properly and Cllr. Davies
contacted Plantscape the supplier who agreed to give two additional solar powered lights next Christmas
without charge
1761. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.
Mrs Manship and Mr. Sewell both raised the problem of dog fouling in the village. Mrs Manship was
particularly concerned about the dog fouling on the path between Manor Drive and Brynffrwdd Close.
After some discussion the Community Council agreed to raise the profile of the problem by putting notices
on the new Website, Face Book and notice boards. In addition the Community Council will look at the
possibility of putting lightweight plastic signs on some lamp posts in the village, though this will need
BCBC’s approval.
Mr. Sewell also raised the problem of the litter on the carriageways of the A473. He advised that he has
raised this issue with BCBC on several occasions but little or no action has been taken. Mr Sewell wants to
stop the litter problem occurring by some method of monitoring/enforcement, The Community Council
recognise that litter is a problem on and around the A473 but they are not in a position to be able to take
any action in this respect.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8. 28 pm

Signed Chairman……………………………………12th February 2019

Tags: No tags

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *