Council Minutes Mar 2018

Minutes of the meeting of Coychurch Lower Community Council held at
the Council Meeting Room at the Williams Memorial Hall
on Tuesday the 13th March 2018 at 7.15 pm.

PRESENT. Acting Chairman Cllr. Kenneth Smith, Cllr. Miss Penelope Gwilliam, Cllr. Philip Davies, Cllr. Richard Smith and the Clerk Paul Smith. 1590. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Apologies for absence were received from Cllr. Miss Jayne Brace, Vice-Chairman Cllr. Mrs. Helen Evans and Cllr. Bruce Nash
1591. MINUTES.
The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday 13th February 2018 copies having previously been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman. There were no matters arising.
1592. TO FORMALLY CO-OPT Mr. RICHARD SMITH ON TO THE COMMUNITY COUNCIL AND TO SIGN THE DECLARATION A COUNCILLOR.
Mr. Richard Smith read and signed the Declaration of a Councillor including the Code of Conduct and was welcomed onto the Community Council by the Chairman.
1593. TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL PREJUDICAL OR FINANCIAL INTEREST.
There were no declarations of interest.
1594. TO DISCUSS THE GDPR AND POSITION OF DPO.
The Clerk reported that One Voice Wales had forwarded a Toolkit for use by member Councils and the SLCC had written advising that clearer information regarding how small Councils will be affected will be available in two weeks time. However it does appear that all Councils will have to nominate a DPO with the relevant skill sets and qualifications. Therefore the Clerk recommended that he now sources an appropriate and affordable company to act as DPO should this become necessary. This was agreed. He also reported he is currently looking at the types and amounts of personal data kept by the Council and will give an update at the next meeting.
1595. TO DISCUSS THE PURCHASE OF A DEFIBRILLATOR(s) FOR THE WARD.
Cllr. Davies and Cllr. Ken Smith raised their concerns about the location of the Defibrillator planned for the Bryn. Cllr. Davies reported that the Golf Club has no objection for it to be located there but felt other locations should be looked at. The Clerk reported that due to the half term break and being away he had not yet spoken to Mrs. Hurry about the possibility of locating one at the School, though the School does get locked up at night including the main gate so access my be a problem. It was agreed the Clerk should speak with Mrs. Hurry and alternative locations investigated at the Bryn for next month’s meeting.
1596. CLERKS REPORT.
• Reference BCBC’s consultation on reducing bus subsides and cancelling services on some routes including the Bridgend to Pencoed route. The Clerk wrote on behalf of the Community Council to object to the proposals.
• Letter received from BCBC notifying the Community Council that the next Town & Community Forum Meeting will be on Monday 19th March 2018 at 4pm at BCBC’s Civic Offices. Cllr Gwilliam will attend.
• Request received from the Wales Audit Office to complete a survey. The Survey will close on Friday 6th April 2018. The Clerk explained that only one person should complete the survey on behalf of the Council but this should reflect the Council’s views. It was therefore agreed if practical Council members should review the survey and note and forward any comments they wish to make to the Clerk who will then complete the survey on behalf of the Council. Comments to be received by Friday 23rd March.
• Report received from the Auditor General of Wales reference Financial Management and Governance in Local Councils 2016/17.
• Update report received from the Local Democracy and Boundary Commission for Wales reference Guidance for Principal Councils on the Review of Communities. Copy to all.
• Reference GDPR. One Voice Wales forwarded a Toolkit for use by member Councils. See GDPE Agenda item.
• The Clerk received an email from Mr. Gary Jones of BCBC advising that the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales Annual Report is now available on line. Copy to all.
• Invitation received from BCBC for the Chairman to attend the Palm Sunday Service of Remembrance on Sunday 25th March at Margam Crematorium starting at 3pm.
• Reference the Community Fund, the Clerk contacted Borough Councillor Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables to ask about the application the Council made for funds to repair the kick about area in the Play Park and to see if BCBC has any objections about the tree cutting on their land at Duffryn Close. Cllr. Venables advised she has not been able to progress either of these matters at this time.
1597. POLICE.
The Clerk reported that PSCO Sam Dance has notified the Council that she will no longer be providing a monthly Police Report with immediate effect. The Clerk is currently investigating the possibility of gaining access to the relevant information to try to produce the report. The Community Council believes this is another example of the Police withdrawing from Community Policing. The Council currently has very little if no contact with the Police. It was agreed that the Clerk should write to the Chief Constable of South Wales Police expressing the Council’s concerns regarding the lack of effective Community Policing.
1598. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING PLANNING.
Cllr. Ken Smith presented and signed the minutes of the Planning Sub Committee held on Monday 12th March 2018.
1599. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.
Cllr. Davies raised the issue of illegal parking on David Street on the Bridgend Industrial Estate. Although
PCSO Sam Dance did visit some companies on David Street to ask them to get their staff and visitors not
to park on the pavement and obstruct the highway there has been little or no improvement. It was agreed
that the Clerk should write to BCBC ‘s Highways department to bring this to their attention as well as the Police.
Cllr. Richard Smith asked if the Grit Bin at the top of the hill by the Play Park in Glenwood Close could be
relocated to the bottom of the Hill to make it easier to access and distribute the grit. It was explained that
the problems experienced when originally locating the Grit Bin were that nobody wanted the bins
outside of their properties and it had to be located in a position where it did not block the pavement. It was
agreed alternative locations should be investigated and discussed again at March’s meeting.
Cllr. Davies raised the issue of overgrowing vegetation at a property at the junction of Bryn road and
Glenwood Close which was forcing pedestrians with prams/ push chairs onto the road. It was agreed the
Clerk should write to the residents concerned highlighting that this is an offence and if no action is taken
it will be referred to BCBC for them to take enforcement action.
1600.TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.
Cllr. Davies presented this month’s Footpath Report.
He reported that the Community Council has not received a response to their earlier emails to Andrew
Mason of BCBC’s FOW. Therefore no progress report is available at this time.
Confirmation has been received that Alex Carey no longer works for BCBC’s ROW and this may be a factor in the delay experienced at this time.
The two marker posts supplied by BCBC’s ROW will be installed in the next few weeks. Cllr, Davies reported that he will talk to the Secretary of the Golf Club to arrange a mutually convenient time. Markers are needed for the post and theses will need to be obtained from BCBC ROW.

1601. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH
Borough Cllr. Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables sent her apologies and was not in attendance.
1602. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCIL.
There was no business under this heading.
1603. TO DISCUSS THE PRECEPT FOR 2017/2018.
The Precept Actual v Budget Report for 2017/18 was reviewed. There was no expenditure since February‘s report
1604. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS.
There were no cheques payments this month. Bank charges totalling £5 were approved and signed.
1605. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
There was no other business
1606. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.
No members of the public were present.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.04 pm.
Signed Chairman…………………………………… 10th April 2018

Tags: No tags

Comments are closed.