Council Minutes Dec 2016

Minutes of the meeting of the Coychurch Lower Community Council, held at the Council Meeting Room on Tuesday the 13th December at 7.15 pm.

Present. Chairman Cllr. K. Smith,, Cllr Bruce Nash. Cllr. Miss. Jayne Brace,
Cllr. Miss D. Martin, Cllr. G. Jones, Cllr. Mrs H Evans and the Clerk Paul Smith. Borough Councillor Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables was present.
1382. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Apologises received from Cllr J. Brice Richards.
1383. MINUTES.
The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday 8th November 2016 copies having previously been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman.
1384 TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL OR PREJUDICAL INTEREST.
There were no declarations of interest.
1386. CLERKS REPORT.
• Letter and list received from BT identifying 49 public payphones in the Bridgend area scheduled for removal. This includes the payphone on Main Road by the play park. The consultation period ends on the 21st December 2016. To be discussed. See Agenda.
• The Community Christmas Carol Service will be held on Thursday the 15th December at St Crallos Church starting at 6pm. Pencoed Silver Band will be in attendance. Cllr. Mrs Helen Evans will represent the Community Council. All are welcome.
• The Council received notification of the closure of the Heol-y-Capel crossing from 18.00 on 25/12/2016 until 22:00 on 26/12/2016 or until such time as the works are completed up to a maximum of 6 months.
• The Council Precept for 2017/2018 has been sent to BCBC.
• Notification from BCBC’s Right of Ways department that footpath No19 will be temporarily closed to enable repairs/replacement of footbridge crossing at Brocastle Brook.
• Notification and Agenda received from BCBC for the Town & Community Forum meeting on Monday 12th December. Cllr. Nash was unable to attend and sent his apologises.
• Welsh Water held a public consultation at the Williams Memorial on Monday 12th December between1.30pm and 7pm, reference the replacement of sewers at Glenwood, St Marys View and Bryn Road. The work is scheduled to start in March 2017 and last approximately three months. The Clerk has requested a summary of the works be forwarded for the Community Council’s information.
• Reminder received from One Voice Wales that there will be a One Voice Wales Bridgend/Cardiff and Vale Area committee meeting on Monday the 16th January 2017 at the Lesser Hall Cowbridge starting at 7pm. Cllr Martin will attend.
• Membership of the SLCC has been renewed.
• Letter received from One Voice Wales advising that they have received 30 invitations for Buckingham Palace Garden Parties. The invites are for the current Chairpersons. Submission of applications to enter the draw must be completed by 13th January. Clerk to action with Chairman.
• The Chairman Cllr. Ken Smith, Cllr Gareth Jones and the Clerk Paul Smith met with Network Rail and BCBC Footpaths/Right of Way management on Wednesday 30th November to discuss maintenance issues and Network Rail plans for any future rail crossing closures /diversions affecting the Coychurch Lower Ward. See Footpaths.
• The Clerk received notification received from the Welsh Government that the consultation on Welsh Transport Appraisal Guidance started on the 8th December. The closing date for responses is 2nd March 2017. It was agreed that the council will wait until the draft proposal is available before commenting.
• Notification received from the Welsh Government that they have started work on the preparation of the National Development Framework (NDF). The call for evidence and projects will be open until 7th March 2017. It was agreed that the council will wait until the draft proposal is available before commenting. .
• The Clerk received copies of Emails sent from Mr. Brian Sewell to BCBC and Borough Councillor Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables reference the litter problem along the A473.
• The Clerk received copies of Email sent from Mr. Ian Williams to BCBC reference a damaged and unstable kerbstone at 34, St Marys View.
• Letter received from Elin Jones AM of the National Assembly of Wales notifying the Council of a consultation to change the name of the National Assembly.

1387. POLICE.
The Clerk presented the Police Report for November 2016 forwarded by PCSO Meurig Coleman .The Council once again commented on the lack of information available in the report.It was agreed that the Clerk should contact PSCO Coleman to establish why he is not able to provide the level of detail required.
1388. PLANNING MATTERS.
The Planning Sub Committee met on Friday 9th December 2016. Minutes of the Planning Sub Committee Meeting were previously circulated to all Council members. The Chairman gave a brief overview of the Minutes. They will be separately posted on the Council notice boards and website.
1388. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.
Concerns have been raised about the safety of the cycle path between Coychurch and Pencoed adjacent to the A473.There have been reports of near misses between cyclists and vehicles particularly at the exit/entrance of the village. Following some discussion it was agreed that Cllr. Jones and the Clerk should walk the cycle path with the objective of identifying possible ways of improving the safety for cyclists using this path and report back at the next Council meeting.
The Clerk reported that he has been approached by several residents of the village about the danger involved when crossing the B4181 at the Waterton Roundabout to get to the banks and shops on Bridgend Industrial Estate. A particularly dangerous section is the crossing from the central reservation to and from Nathaniel’s Cars. The elderly and infirm are especially vulnerable in this respect.
Given the hundreds of houses to be built in Waterton over the next few years a large number of children will also be seeking a safe route to school which this crossing would need to become a part of.
The council discussed several options with respect to providing a solution to making this a” safe” crossing place and will progress this and make recommendations at the next council meeting.
1389. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.
Cllr Gareth Jones reported that the Clerk had previously circulated December’s Footpath Report that he had produced. He further reported that he has now completed an up to date survey of the footpaths so that he can produce an abridged version of the original snag list for BCBC. He stated that some good progress has been made, but although a number of the issues have been reported to have been actioned, some have either not been progressed or require additional attention. He recommended that the Council concentrate its efforts on resolving the long standing blockage issue on footpath No.13 (Coed y Mwstwr ridge) which was reported to BCBC in August, against which it appears no action has yet been taken. With regard to the other issues, he felt that they may not come under a priority heading, and as such are possibly likely to take some time to resolve. He considered most of them to be a simple day’s work and proposed that (with BCBC’s sanction) we consider requesting that some of this is completed with volunteer groups, using the unspent £200 set aside for footpath maintenance in this year’s Precept.
In respect of the meeting with Network Rail and with regard to footpath maintenance the Council recommended that apart from ensuring regular maintenance is introduced and carried out on a quarterly basis by Network Rail that the membrane to be used on the planned diverted footpaths 12 and 16 be of a better quality and more durable material than that used on footpath No7. The Clerk advised that he has already written to BCBC asking them to bring this to the attention of Network Rail.
Cllr. Bruce Nash took the opportunity to thank Cllr. Jones for the time and effort he has put in resolving issues and improving footpaths in Coychurch Lower.
1390. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH.
Cllr Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables was in attendance. She had no Borough business to report,
The Chairman asked Cllr Venables if the Borough has any plans to build a new school or expand existing schools such as Coychurch Primary to meet the demands the new housing developments will bring. Cllr Venables was not aware of any plans to build new schools. The Chairman asked if Cllr Venables could make some enquiries to establish how the Borough plans to cope with the increased demand for additional school places.
Cllr Nash reported that during periods of heavy rain the narrowing just before Manor badly floods and could she bring this to the attention of the Borough to see what improvements to drainage can be made.
1391. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCIL
There was no business under this heading.
1392. TO DISCUSS A PROPOSAL FOR CHRISTMAS STREET LIGHTING.
It was proposed by Cllr Mrs Helens Evans that the Council hire Solar powered Christmas lighting decorations for Christmas2017. These would be installed on Main road Coychurch and on the Waterton Estate. The cost for ten decorative Christmas lights is approximately £950. This is an all inclusive cost to include installation and removal of the decorations. There are no operating costs. It was proposed by Cllr. Mrs Helen Evans and seconded by Cllr Gareth Jones that the sum of £1,000 be spent on Christmas Street Lighting. This was unanimously agreed.
1393 TO DISCUSS THE REMOVAL OF THE BT PAYPHONE IN THE VILLAGE.
Following a brief discussion it was proposed by Cllr Deryn Martin and seconded by Cllr Jayne Brace that the BT Payphone be removed. This was unanimously agreed.
1394. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS.
Payment of cheques numbered 1457 /1460 totalling £1,034.18 were approved and
signed.
1395. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
Cllr Jones reported that the grass verge just past the railway bridge on Bryn Road has
been damaged by heavy vehicle(s) and was badly “cutup”. It was agreed the Clerk should
check the area and report the damage to BCBC Highways department.
Cllr. Jones also reported the litter that had been dumped behind the style at the back of the
Court. This is had earlier been reported by Mr. Brian Sewell. The land concerned is
private or BCBC land and not the responsibility of the Community Council. The Clerk will
check the area and if applicable follow up with BCBC.
1396. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.
There was no business under this heading.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8. 38pm.

Signed Chairman…………………………………… 15th December 2016

Tags: No tags

Comments are closed.