Council Minutes Jan 2017

Minutes of the meeting of the Coychurch Lower Community Council, held at the Council Meeting Room on Tuesday the 10th January 2017 at 7.15 pm.

Present. Chairman Cllr. K. Smith, Cllr Bruce Nash. Cllr. Miss. Jayne Brace,
Cllr. Miss D. Martin, Cllr. G. Jones, Cllr. Mrs H Evans and the Clerk Paul Smith.
PCSO Meurig Coleman (part).
1397. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Apologies received from Cllr J. Brice Richards.
1398. MINUTES.
The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday 13th December 2016 copies having previously been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman.
1399 TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL OR PREJUDICIAL INTEREST.
There were no declarations of interest.
1400. CLERKS REPORT.
• The Heol-y-Capel crossing closed for work from 18.00 on 25/12/2016 is now open.
• Welsh Water held a public consultation at the Williams Memorial on Monday 12th December between2pm and 7pm, reference the replacement of sewers at Glenwood, St Marys View and Bryn Road. The Clerk has since contacted Welsh Water and received maps showing the work to be done. The work is now scheduled to begin at the end of February and will last approximately 3 months. Properties affected are 2-32 Bryn Road (even numbers only) and numbers 1 and 9 of Glenwood Close.
• Belated reply received from Inspector Moore notifying the Council that he has only just received the Council’s letter concerning speeding on the A473. He will ask his patrol cars to target speeding motorists particularly speeding bikers. See road safety issues
• Notification received from the Welsh Government that the Section 37 expenditure limit for 2017-18 is £7.52 per elector.
• Letter received from BCBC requesting a small contribution to meeting the cost of maintaining Beach and Water Safety Service at Coney Beach Rest Bay Trecco Bay and Pink Bay. The Council agreed that this should be funded by BCBC or Porthcawl Town Council.
• Cllr Kenneth Smith and the Clerk discussed the problem of identifying a practical solution to remove the danger associated with pedestrians crossing the A473 and B4181 at the Waterton roundabout. Cllr. Smith has produced a plan to have a series of bridges crossing over the Waterton roundabout. To be discussed. See Road Safety issues.
• Cllr. Gareth Jones and the Clerk met to assess exit/entry safety issues of the cycle path running from the east end of Coychurch village to Pencoed roundabout. See Road Safety issues.
• Cllr. Gareth Jones and the Clerk met to discuss the footpaths snag list and the opening of the blockage west of Torcoed Farm. The Clerk wrote to Andrew Mason of BCBC’s Footpaths and Rights of Way department requesting a meeting in early January to progress the outstanding issues. No reply to date. Cllr. Jones has produced a footpath report . Copy to all.
1401. POLICE.
PCSO Meurig Coleman was in attendance and presented the Police Report for December 2016. The format and content of the Police Report was discussed. The Council once again commented on the lack of detailed information available in the report. Following discussions it was agreed that PCSO Coleman will produce a draft report for January 2017 and forward this to Clerk for comment before finalising the report. The possible use of community messaging was also discussed whereby residents can be emailed directly with information regarding crimes incidents etc. Although this would require residents providing their personal emails this could cover a large percentage of the population and give early notification of crimes incidents etc.
1402. PLANNING MATTERS.
The Planning Sub Committee met on Friday 6th January 2017. Minutes of the Planning Sub Committee Meeting were previously circulated to all Council members. However BCBC’s planning website has had problems and it was not possible to access relevant documents for planning applications. The Clerk had since arranged for the documents to be emailed to the Council and therefore applications were able to be discussed. Reference application P/16/1011/RLX. Land off Horsefair Road WIE. Ward Jones to vary conditions1 and 5 of P/16/472/FUL. It was agreed that although the Council had no formal objections they did want BCBC to ensure they enforced the agreed conditions and regularly monitored them . The Clerk is to action. Reference application P/16/1019/FUL. Revision of approval P/15/83/FUL to include alterations to previously approved detached garage affecting footpath No.13 Coychurch Lower at Warren Hill. The Council had serious concerns that the size of the garage which with upper area is far too big and potentially could be used for a separate dwelling. There was also some confusion as to whether it does or does not affect footpath 13. The header on the application suggests it does the plans states that it does not. It was agreed that the Council would not object to the application but will formally record their concerns about the build to BCBC‘s planning department. The Clerk will also seek clarification regarding footpath 13. The original minutes will be separately posted on the Council notice boards and website.
1403. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.
Cllr Kenneth Smith and the Clerk discussed the problem of identifying a safe solution to remove the danger associated with pedestrians crossing the A473 and B4181 at the Waterton roundabout. Cllr. Smith presented a plan to have a series of bridges crossing over the Waterton roundabout to make areas on the Waterton and Bridgend Industrial estates safely accessible by the public .This or a similar solution could be funded under section 105 contributions from the new housing developments to be built in Coychurch Ward. It was agreed the Clerk should write to BCBC to identifying the need for safe crossing points around Waterton roundabout.
The Clerk had received a belated reply received from Inspector Moore notifying the Council that he had only just received the Council’s letter concerning speeding on the A473. He will ask his patrol cars and mobile camera teams to target speeding motorists particularly speeding bikers. It was reported that 10.30 to 11pm on week days and 10.30am to 11.30am on weekends were particularly noisy due to speeding bikers. It was agreed the Clerk should follow up with Inspector Moore to provide more information about times and days when speeding is at its worst.
Cllr. Gareth Jones and the Clerk met to assess exit/entry safety issues of the cycle path running from the east end of Coychurch village to Pencoed roundabout. There are serious safety concerns with cyclists returning from Pencoed to Coychurch. Near accidents have been observed when cyclists have not stopped at the end of the cycle path but have ridden straight across the junction of the Main Road filter and the A473 to cross to the red coloured continuation of the cycle path on the opposite side of the road. Following some discussion the Council felt that it would be much safer if the cycle path ended at Main Road with appropriate signage and the short red section of the cycle path removed. It was agreed the Clerk should write to BCBC in this respect.
1404. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.
Cllr Gareth Jones presented the Footpath Report.
• Network Rail has cleared the over growth on their diverted section of No.7, so this path is presumably now on their agreed maintenance schedule and should be cleared 4 times a year. Thanks tendered to NR’s David Jakeway via. BCBC Rights of Way.
• Meeting already requested with BCBC Rights of Way reference the already circulated December 2016 snag list. Understandably no response to date.
• Abridged working-document version of the snag list has been compiled to aid BCBC Rights of Way.
• Discussions in relation to the best use of the £200 set aside for footpaths for 2016/17 suggests speaking with Rights of Way to see if this money may aid the rapid sort out of the lower priority snag list issues – possibly via. volunteer labour under BCBC’s control and arrangements.
• Preliminary fact finding discussions to take place regarding volunteer groups, Cardiff Conservation Volunteers (CCV) – believed used by Coychurch Higher and Pencoed, and Valeways used by Vale of Glamorgan. Appreciating any involvement would have to be strictly under BCBC’s sanction and arrangements, due to insurance implications, it is nevertheless considered a useful contact base. I will make meeting arrangements with my contact at Valeways, and the Clerk with the rest.
• It is anticipated that the temporary 21 day closure on No.19 at the bridge over the Brocastle brook may still be in place due to the holiday. This will be investigated, and will be discussed if necessary with Valeways since this is a shared responsibility bridge with the Vale of Glamorgan.
• The Clerk and I have had preliminary discussions about a school involvement with footpaths and the countryside, where the council could hopefully dovetail in. The Clerk is to progress this later in the month.
• I intend to start compiling sufficient interesting facts surrounding each footpath with a view to setting up a single sheet guide per path which can be used as handouts. It is envisaged that these will subsequently be amalgamated to form a Village Walks booklet.
• It is proposed that Coychurch will again be involved in the annual Love2Walk festival, and although we will dovetail into their programme and publicity, it is felt it will be advantageous to also independently promote the Community Council’s involvement with the festival and its efforts with footpaths in general.
1405. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH.
Cllr. Bruce Nash sought clarification as to why the gates at Newbridge Fields are kept locked and not accessible to the public including dog walkers. It was agreed the Clerk will contact BCBC and Borough Councillor Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables to establish why these cannot be left open to allow public access.
1406. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCIL
It was proposed seconded and agreed that the Community Council donate £200 to the Pencoed Silver Band for their performance at the Community Christmas Carol Service and their ongoing support
It was also proposed seconded and agreed that the Community Council donate £100 to the Community 50+ Cafe.
1407. TO RECEIVE THE RESPONSIBLE FINANCIAL OFFICERS REPORT AND BUDGET
UPDATE.
The RFO presented the Finance Report as at the 31st December 2016. He reported that the Income for this year was £14,041.82 and Expenditure £12,683.74. Bank Balances were checked and confirmed at £5,190.83. The RFO presented his quarterly budget/precept review and reported that expenditure was in line with the budget/precept.
1408. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS.
Payment of cheques numbered 1462 /14624 totalling £285 were approved and signed.
1409. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
Cllr. Nash reported that Mrs James had fallen over a raised kerbstone in Brynffrwd Close
and sustained facial injuries. It is understood Mrs James reported this to BCBC who sent
an inspector out but the kerbstone was classified within safety limits It was agreed the
Clerk should discuss this with Mrs James and contact BCBC to request that a detailed
inspection of all the pavements in Brynffrwd Close be undertaken to identify the
raised/damaged kerbstones will the objective of replacing them.
Cllr Nash advised that the Coychurch Gardening Society will be purchasing plants for the
village flowerbeds. The cost was previously agreed and included in the Precept.. This was
confirmed and the Chairman thanked Cllr. Nash, on behalf of the Society for their work in
maintaining the flowerbeds in the village..
1410. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.
There was no business under this heading.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8. 49 pm.

Signed Chairman…………………………………… 14th February 2017

Tags: No tags

Comments are closed.