Council Minutes June 2017

Minutes of the meeting of the Coychurch Lower Community Council, held at the Council Meeting Room on Tuesday the 13th June 2017 at 7.15 pm.

Present. Chair Cllr. Miss Jayne Brace, Vice Chair Cllr. Mrs. Helen Evans, Cllr. K. Smith, Cllr. Bruce Nash, Cllr. Miss Deryn Martin, Cllr. Philip Davies, Cllr. Miss. Penelope Gwilliam and the Clerk Paul Smith.
1466. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
There were no apologises for absence.
1467. MINUTES.
The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday 9th May 2017 copies having previously been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman.
1468. TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL OR PREJUDICAL INTEREST.
There were no declarations of interest.
1469.TO FORMALLY ADOPT THE LATEST AND CODE OF CONDUCT.
The community Council formally adopted the latest Code of Conduct.
1470. CLERKS REPORT.
• Purchase of new bench to be progressed as agreed in the Precept. After some discussion it was agreed that a recyclable plastic bench should be purchased. Colour to be confirmed. Cost £299 plus VAT.
• The Clerk wrote to BCBC Highways department to seek clarification about the road signs at both entrances of the village effectively prohibiting entrance to vehicles of 7.5 tons and above. Mr. Keith Power of BCBC replied that the signs that are in place are correct as the order only allows for loading or unloading or garaging and storing of / by large vehicles unlike Access only where large vehicles can be used by drivers to visit a premises without doing the former loading unloading etc.
• The Clerk included in the report to the Chronicle the regulations and legal obligations residents have to ensure that vegetation from their properties does not overgrow and obstruct/block pavements and highways. Several properties still have overgrowing vegetation obstructing pavements. It was agreed contact will be made or letters written to these residents. Clerk to action. There was also vegetation obstructing the pavement on Main Road which is growing from the bank in front of Hawthorn Drive. This is BCBC’s land and the Clerk will write to BCBC to ask them to cut it back.
• A “New Councillor Induction” training course was held on Wednesday 24th May 2017 Carnegie House Wyndham Street Bridgend at 6.30pm. Cllr. Miss Deryn Martin and Cllr. Phil Davies attended the training.
• Annual Return submitted to BDO for external audit.
• Letter received from Helen Embling Secretary St Crallo’s Church requesting a donation of £360 for the cost of external lighting of the Church. See donations.
• Letter received from One Voice Wales advising that the next meeting of the Bridgend, Cardiff Vale Area Committee meeting will be held at 7pm on Monday 10th July at the Lesser Town Hall Cowbridge. Cllr. Martin will attend.
• Letter from One Voice Wales notifying the Council that the Public Service Ombudsman has agreed in principle of referring some complaints against members/officers back to Town and Community Councils for a local resolution. Copy to all.
• Letter received from BCBC notifying the council that the next meeting of the Town & Community Forum will be on 10th July at 4pm in the Council chamber at BCBC. Cllr Gwilliam and the Clerk will attend.
• The official Armed Forces Day will be held on Saturday 24th June.
• The Clerk contacted Borough Councillor Elaine Venables requesting details of the litter/dog fouling bins she was asking for from BCBC. Cllr. Venables advised that she has asked for 2 bins one for the Bryn and one for Waterton.
• The Clerk contacted BCBC about the possibility of moving some of the existing bins to other locations. Reference possibly moving one of the bins from the bus shelters outside the Memorial Hall, it was considered best to keep them to avoid litter being dropped in the bus shelters. As a general consideration it was not really practical to move existing bins from such as the play park because damage can be caused in removing the old bin and depending on the location support poles maybe needed and costs incurred. After some discussion it was agreed to confirm the exact locations where a new bin was needed before deciding how this should be progressed..
• The clerk checked the play park in the village. The fence around the kick about area needs repairing but otherwise apart from the need for some repainting the equipment seems to be in a good working condition. The repairs to the fence have been carried out. It was agreed the Clerk should write to BCBC to see if the benches etc can be repainted.
• Letter received from One Voice Wales notifying the Council that the external auditors BDO have withdrawn the question re bilingual agendas and minutes. Further clarification will be given shortly.
• Letter written by the Clerk to the Police Commissioners Office requesting information about the survey carried out in Coychurch two months ago. Reply received advising that the survey was to find out perceptions of crime and how effective PCSO’s are in the local community. The households were selected by an external company utilized by South Wales Police.
1471. POLICE.
The Clerk presented the Police report for May 2017 which was prepared by PCSO Sam Dance. See separate Police report.
1471. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING PLANNING.
The Planning meeting scheduled for Friday the 9th June 2017 was cancelled because there were insufficient numbers attending to make up a Quorum. Planning matters were discussed as follows.
Applications
P/17241/FUL. Construction of a first floor modular office above the existing office. TDW Distribution Moor Road WIE.
P/17/373/FUL. Retention change of use of the former Bridgend Camping & Leisure Unit Water Wings Unit 12d Kingsway Buildings BIE. (Unit Class A1/Class D2. Members only swimming pool.
P/17/396/FUL. Single storey office extension. FP Hurley and Sons Ltd. Queens Road BIE.
P/17/412/FUL. Construction of a new car parking area by Waterton Estates Limited to serve existing offices at Unit 1 Waterton Park WIE.
P/17/414/FUL Two storey side/rear extension incorporating granny annexe and detached store. The Orchard the Court Coychurch.
Comments.
P/17241/FUL and P/17/373/FUL. It was agreed that the Council should draw the LPA’s attention to the lack/inadequacy of parking arrangements in the application forms. Both Trading Estates already suffer from on street parking problems and we would not like to see this problem increased in any way.
Objections.
P/17/396/FUL. The Council objected to this application on the grounds that no on site parking proposals are included for the additional staff. The application form has been left blank where the number of existing and additional should be included.
Permissions.
P/17/301/FUL . New vehicular access from Western Avenue to Plot G7on BIE Applicant Zurich Insurance Date 24th April 2017
Refused.
P/17/44/FUL Change of use from ancillary office to clinic within Class D1 Nodor House South Road, B.I.E. The proposed use is not considered ancillary or complementary to the main employment activity of the premises and as such, the proposal is contrary to Policies REG1 and REG 2 of the Local Development Plan (2013), and guidance contained within Supplementary Planning Guidance Note 21 Safeguarding Employment Sites.
Other
Reference the Ward Jones application to amend conditions P/17/369/RLX.
Following from the meeting with Llangan CC and the Treoes residents group, the Clerk wrote to BCBC’s planning department formally objecting to the proposed changes to conditions 1 and 5. No reply to date.
Letter of thanks received from Llangan CC and the Treoes residents Group.
1472. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.
Following from the meeting with BCBC’s Highways it was agreed that the Clerk should
contact Highways and see if they have reviewed the safety concerns raised by the Council
reference the cycle path at the East end of the village.
Concerns were raised again about the number of accidents occurring when vehicles are
crossing over the B4181 to go to the Bridgend Industrial Estate or to Brackla and Coity. It
was agreed the Clerk should write to the South Wales Police to ask for information on the
number of accidents occurring at this spot,
A serious accident recently occurred at the junction of Coychurch Road and the
B4181 outside Singletons.
Finally it was agreed that the clerk should send a copy of the meeting between the
Community Council and BCBC Highways to Cllrs. Davies and Gwilliam.
1473 .TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.
The Clerk presented June’s Footpath/ROW report. See separate report.
1474. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH
Borough Cllr. Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables was not in attendance. There was no business under this
heading. It was agreed that the Clerk should contact Cllr. Venables to ask her to attend future
meetings if she is available.
1475. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCIL
Letter received from Helen Embling Secretary St Crallos Church asking the Council for a donation towards the cost of running the exterior lighting at St Crallos Church. It was proposed, seconded and unanimously agreed that the amount of £400 be donated towards the cost of the external lighting.
1476. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS AND REVIEW THE PRECEPT SPEND.
Payment of cheques numbered 1479 /1482 totalling £5,168.42 were approved and signed.
1477. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
• Cllr Nash reported that the weeds on the pavements and on the roadside in Brynffrwdd Close were completely out of control. This is very much the situation in most parts of the village. The Clerk will check with BCBC to see when the next weed spraying is scheduled for.
• Cllr Nash further reported that the height and thickness of the vegetation growing on the verge of the eastbound carriageway of the A473 is making access to the back of resident’s properties virtually impossible .They cannot do any maintenance on the rear of their properties. The Clerk has contacted BCBC on this issue before but will contact them again and include photographs of the affected areas.
• Cllr Nash also reported that the street light outside No. 10 Brynffrwdd Close was constantly flickering. The Clerk will report this to BCBC.
• Cllr. Gwilliam reported the large potholes under and around the bridge on Bryn Road. It was agreed the Clerk will check and report the potholes needing repair to BCBC.
• Cllr Evans suggested that the Clerk should check with Lloyds Bank to see why the £5 monthly admin fee was being charged and to see if another non chargeable account is available with Lloyds or another Bank.
1478. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.
There were no members of the public present.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.26pm.
Signed Chairman…………………………………… 11th July 2017

Tags: No tags

Comments are closed.