Council Minutes Sept 2017

Minutes of the meeting of the Coychurch Lower Community Council, held at the Council Meeting Room on Tuesday the 12th September 2017 at 7.15 pm.

Present. Chairman Cllr. Miss Jayne Brace, Vice Chairman Cllr. Mrs. Helen Evans, Cllr. Ken Smith, Cllr. Bruce Nash, Cllr. Miss Deryn Martin, and the Clerk Paul Smith.
1493. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Apologises for absence were received from Cllr. Philip Davies and Cllr. Miss Penelope Gwilliam.
1494. MINUTES.
The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday 11th July 2017 copies having previously been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman.
1495. TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL OR PREJUDICAL INTEREST.
There were no declarations of interest.
1496. CLERKS REPORT.
1. The externally audited Annual Return for the financial year ending the 31st March 2017 has been returned for formal acceptance. See Agenda item. The Close of Audit and Right to Inspect the Annual Return Notice has been posted on the notice board and website.
2. The bench has not been purchased yet since bank mandates have only just been completed. Moreover regarding the suggestion of putting the new bench at the entrance to Manor Drive and relocating one of the old benches, the condition of the existing benches are such that they may be damaged (break apart) when trying to move them. After some discussion it was agreed that the new bench will be located at the Bryn and two new benches will be purchased next year to replace those at the entrance to Manor Drive.
3. Reference overgrowing vegetation. Letters have been written to those properties identified by Cllr Deryn Martin and also letters written to BCBC reference the overgrowth from the Play Park on to the pavement at Ruthin Close and on Main Road, It was agreed that a letter should be written to the owner of the property backing onto the Cul de Sac at the top of Manor Drive concerning the nettles extending onto the pavement and reminder letters sent to those who have not responded to earlier requests. Residents of Duffryn Close whose properties face Main Road have asked for the trees and shrubs on the land opposite them to be cut back. It was agreed the Clerk should write to BCBC to clarify who owns the land concerned before any further action is taken.
4. Reference the clearance of the Brook. The Clerk contacted Natural Resources Wales (Rivers Authority) and the Brook has now been cleared between Manor Drive and Well Cottages. The section between Manor Drive and the Memorial Hall has just been cleared as well. Also requested was the clearing of the Brook along Bryn Road. .
5. Letter received from the Mayor of Bridgend Town Council inviting the Chairman and Consort to a Civic Service on Sunday 24th September 2017 at Bridgend United Church Tondu Road Bridgend at 2.30pm. This will be followed by Afternoon Tea at Carnegie at Carnegie House Wyndham Street Bridgend. The Chairman will attend.
6. Letter received from the Mayor of the County Borough of Bridgend inviting the Chairman and Consort to a Civic Service on Sunday 17th September 2017 at St Mary’s Catholic Church Ewenny Road Bridgend at 2pm.The Chairman is unable to attend.
7. Letter received from the Mayor of Pencoed inviting the Chairman and Consort to a Civic Service on Sunday 1st October at Salem Chapel Coychurch Road. Service starts at 3pm. The Chairman will attend,
8.Letter received from BCBC notifying the Community Council that there is £100,000 available in the Town and Community Council Fund for Community Asset Transfers.
9. Letter received from BCBC notifying the Community Council of the partial removal of the Pedestrian Order to allow 24 hour traffic flow in Bridgend Town Centre.
10. Letter received from One Voice Wales/NALC notifying the Council of changes to the Data Protection Act introducing a General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) coming into force on 25th May 2018. Following some discussion it was agreed that this item be put on October’s Agenda for further discussion.
11. Letter received from the Welsh Government regarding funding for clustering.
12. Email received from Mrs. Manship regarding noise on the A473 between the Waterton roundabout and Pencoed roundabout. She plans to attend the Council Meeting.
13. Letter received from BCBC advising of Code of Conduct training courses to be held at Civic offices of BCBC on Wednesday 27th September from 4pm to 6pm and Friday 13th October from 10am to 12pm. Cllrs. Ken Smith and Mrs Helen Evans have advised that they will be attending the course on the 13th October. Clrs. Bruce Nash and Deryn Martin confirmed that they will also attend the course on the 13th October and Cllr Jayne Brace will attend on the 27th September.
1497. POLICE. The Police report for August 2017 was not available at the time of the meeting. It was reported that a white Transit van has been seen driving around Coychurch. Residents should be aware.                                         1498 TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING PLANNING.   
Planning minutes of the Planning Committee held on Friday 8th September 2017 were
presented and signed.
1499. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.
The issue of dangerous car parking by the triangle at junction of Main and Treoes Road
was raised again. After some discussion it was agreed the Clerk should contact PCSO Sam
Dance to see if she will speak to the residents concerned and ask them to park in another
place not at the junction itself.
Building contractors currently working on a property in Treoes Road are parking on the
pavement and restricting access to Brynfrwdd Close. In an emergency this could prevent
entry by service vehicles. The Clerk will discuss with the residents concerned.                                                                         1500 .TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.
The Clerk advised that there was no formal report this month. He had emailed Andrew Mason BCBC’s ROW manager for an update on the progress of the outstanding issues on the Snag List but no response to date. The Clerk advised that he had received an email from Gareth Jones offering his assistance to help monitor the condition of the footpaths to ensure that a programme of ongoing assessment is maintained so that we do not go back to the situation where we were a couple of years ago. The Clerk advised he had accepted Gareth’s offer of assistance.
1501. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH
Borough Cllr. Dr. Mrs. Elaine Venables was not in attendance.
1502. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCIL.
There were no donations to be discussed.
1503 TO DISCUSS THE PRECEPT FOR 2018/2019.
The Clerk/RFO presented the draft Budget/Precept for 2018/19.It was agreed that two benches will be purchased to replace the old benches at the entrance to Manor Drive. The Precept will be reviewed again at the next meeting at which suggestions for additional expenditure should be presented. The Clerk/RFO also presented this year’s Precept/Budget v Actual expenditure report. The £1,000 allocated for Christmas Lighting was discussed. Following some debate as to how the money should be spent, it was proposed seconded and agreed (Cllr. Mrs. Helen Evans was against the proposal)that part of the £1,000 allocated for Christmas Lighting should be used to provide prizes for the winners of a Christmas Lights competition to encourage residents to “light up” their properties at Christmas. Suggestions as to how the balance of the money should be spent will be presented and confirmed at the October’s meeting. Reference the £250 allocated for conservation projects it was proposed seconded and agreed that this money should be allocated for conservation projects at Coychurch Primary School.
1504 TO ACCEPT AND APPROVE THE AUDITED ANNUAL RETURN FOR 2016/17.
The Council formally reviewed the audited Annual Return and the three issues raised by the external auditors. The Council formally approved the Annual Return and agreed to take action at the earliest opportunity to clear the issues raised.                                                                                                                                                                                                          1505. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS.
Payment of cheques numbered 1490 /1493 totalling £1376.60 were approved and signed.
1506. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
The Chairman Cllr. Jayne Brace advised that it was necessary for a Review Panel to be formed to handle complaints brought before the Council. It was agreed that all Council members would be on the Review Panel. It was confirmed that the minimum number sitting on any such panel at any one time should be three.
1507. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.
There were three members of the public present. They were Mrs. Janet Turner, Mrs. Sue
Richardson and Mrs. Manship, Mrs Turner and Mrs Richardson came to see how the
Community Council conducted its business.
Mrs. Manship came the meeting to bring to the Councils attention the problem of noise and
speeding on the A473 and also to see if they could assist with resolving the problem that
there is no fence at the rear of her property because of the steep slope from the verge of the
A473 down to the back of her house.
Regarding the issue of noise and speeding on the A473 the Community Council explained that they have previously written to both BCBC and the Police regarding this problem. However the Council will write again to the Police to ask for further speed checks and for these to be regularly carried out. Regarding the issue of the lack of fencing at the back of her property the Community Council would consider the issue(s) raised but could not offer a solution However it was agreed that the Clerk Should write to BCBC Highways department asking them for a meeting with the Community Council to discuss access problems experienced by all properties backing onto the A473 and to ask them to install a safety/sound barrier along this section of the A473.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 9.21pm.

Signed Chairman…………………………………… 10th October 2017

Tags: No tags

Comments are closed.