March 2016 Minutes

MARCH 2016
Minutes of the meeting of the Coychurch Lower Community Council, held at the
Council Meeting Room on Tuesday the 8th March 2016 at 7.15 pm.

Present. Chairman Cllr. B. Nash, Cllr. K. Smith, Cllr. J. Brice- Richards, , Cllr. Miss J. Brace, Cllr. Miss D. Martin, Cllr. G. Jones and the Clerk Paul Smith.

1266. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
Apologies received from
1267. MINUTES.
The Minutes of the meeting held on the Tuesday 9th February 2016 copies having previously been circulated were approved and signed by the Chairman.
1268 TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF PERSONAL OR PREJUDICIAL INTEREST.
There were no declarations of interest.
1269. CLERKS REPORT.
• As agreed Cllr. Gareth Jones produced a summary report of the work required on each footpath including signage. The report has already been circulated to council members. The Clerk contacted Mr. Andrew Mason of BCBC’s Right of Ways department to ask if the agreement can be amended to remove the second schedule and to clarify public liability under the agreement. After an initial response no detailed reply has been forthcoming. The Clerk also contacted Coity Community Council and Coychurch Higher Community Council to see how they managed footpaths in their wards. See footpaths.
• The Clerk contacted Network Rail again reference the graffiti on the railway bridge by Singletons. A new job order has been opened number 160201/0018 since the previous one had been closed. The Clerk will check progress on a monthly basis from now on.
• During January there was an increase of dog fouling incidents in the village. A dog fouling warning leaflet was prepared by the Clerk and distributed to residents. Since that time there appears to have been an improvement in the situation though the problem still exists. Mr. Brian Sewell contacted the Clerk suggesting that a dog DNA database should be set up and maintained by BCBC.
• The Clerk contacted BCBCs highways department again reference the dirty road sign adjacent to the Starbucks Cafe. No response to date.
• Cllr Jones emailed to suggest establishing a “No Cold Calling Zone” in the village .The Clerk contacted Cllr Venables, who was originally championing the introduction of the Zone to get an update on progress to date. Though unable to attend the meeting she advised that the initiative was put on hold because of the lack of funding from the Welsh Government. She was hoping funds may be available in the coming financial year.
• Email received from Mrs. Helen Evans complaining about the waste food and torn black bags in her neighbour’s garden and asking the community council to write to the landlord of the property concerned. The Clerk emailed Mrs Evans to seek further clarification. Mrs. Evans replied to advise that BCBC’s Health & Safety department were now dealing with the matter.
• Letter received from the Welsh Government notifying the council of the Model Code of Conduct amendment 2016. In accordance with section 15 of the 2000 Act, the community council must adopt the revised code before 26 July 2016.
• Letter received from the Planning Inspectorate Wales notifying the council that the Planning Wales Act 2015 introduced a new type of development – Developments of National Significance (DNS). Decisions on DNS applications will be made by the Welsh Government not the local planning authority.
• The Clerk received a report from One Voice Wales detailing their responses to the Welsh Government proposals to reform local government at Town & Community Council level. Copy to all.
• The Clerk has sourced a coin commemorating the Queen’s 90th birthday. It was agreed that the coins will be given to all children living in the Coychurch Lower ward from the age of 4 up to and including the age of 11. It was agreed the Clerk should go ahead and purchase the coins required.
• Letter received from Pencoed Comprehensive School inviting the Chairman and Consort to the school’s Easter Concert on Tuesday 22nd March 2016 starting at 7pm.
• Letters received from the Pencoed Silver Band, Coychurch Primary School and the Community Cafe, thanking the Community Council for the donations they made.
1270. POLICE.
The Clerk presented the Police Report for February 2016 forwarded by PCSO Meurig
Coleman. It was agreed that the Clerk should contact PCSO Coleman to discuss with him why
either himself or PCSO Dance cannot regularly attend council meetings.
Cllr. Jones emailed outlining the benefits of “Paws on Patrol” initiative currently being introduced by the police. The Clerk emailed PCSO Meurig Coleman to see if he could attend the council meeting to discuss how and where “Paws on Patrol “is operating. Unfortunately no PCSO was in attendance.
1271. PLANNING MATTERS.
The Planning Sub Committee met on Monday 7th March 2016. Minutes of the Planning Sub Committee Meeting were circulated to all Council members. The Minutes will be separately posted on Council notice boards and website.
1272. TO DISCUSS THE VACANCY ON THE COMMUNITY COUNCIL.
The notice advertising the vacancy and asking applicants to apply in writing was displayed on the notice boards and website between the 12th February 2016 and 29th February 2016. No applications were received during this time. It was agreed that the community council will not advertise the vacancy again but will directly co-opt someone onto the council.
1273. TO DISCUSS ANY ROAD SAFETY ISSUES.
Several residents reported the parking of vehicles on Glenwood Close just as you turn in from Bryn Road. The parked vehicles block access and are the potential cause of an accident. The Clerk emailed PCSO Coleman to ask him to try to identify the owners and to talk to them to get them to park in a safer place and not at the junction.
Regarding the problem of “illegal” dangerous parking at the triangle by the Health and Safety unit in the village Cllr. Martin reported that she had not made progress with the traffic police but suggested Keith Power of BCBC’s Traffic Management department.
1274. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING FOOTPATHS/RIGHT OF WAYS.
The Clerk reported that both Coity Higher and Coychurch Higher have entered into
agreements with BCBC to carry out basic maintenance on their footpaths. Coty Higher uses a contractor while Coychurch Higher uses the Cardiff Conservation Society. The Clerk also reported that he had contacted Mr. Andrew Mason of BCBC’s Rights of Way department to try to get the agreement amended and to clarify responsibilities for public liability insurance but no meaningful response to date. Following discussions it was agreed that Cllr. Jones and the Clerk should contact BCBC to arrange a meeting to clarify these issues and to try to get BCBC to meet their responsibilities to carry out the repairs/work needed on the council’s footpaths has identified in the report prepared by Cllr. Jones. It was also agreed that the Coychurch Footpath week in conjunction with the “Love to Walk” week will be advertised in the Chronicle and on council notices boards.
1275. TO DISCUSS MATTERS CONCERNING THE BOROUGH.
There was no business under this heading.
1276. TO CONSIDER DONATIONS TO BE MADE BY THE COUNCIL
There was no business under this heading.
1277. TO AUTHORIZE PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS.
Payment of cheques numbered 1426 /1429 totalling £ 485 were approved and signed.
1278. ANY OTHER BUSINESS.
1. Cllr. Jones suggested introducing the use of Twitter to circulate information previously provided by the police ringmaster system. This could be coordinated by local Neighbourhood Watches or community clubs/associations. However for this to work it will need the police to provide the information as it did for ringmaster.
2. The Chairman advised that the Coychurch Gardening Society intend replacing some of the existing flowerbed plants with new plants mainly Begonias. The cost was estimated at £90 to £100. An amount of £200 per annum had previously been agreed by the council so the society can start the work immediately.
3. The Chairman also advised that the Gardening Society has applied for a grant from Asda to purchase some grass cutting equipment. This will be used by the society to cut and trim smaller areas of grass currently not maintained by the grass cutting contractor.
4. The Chairman suggested contacting BCBC to see if they will provide litter picking equipment and bags to enable the council to organize litter picking days in the village/ward. This was agreed. Clerk to investigate.
1279. MATTERS BROUGHT FORWARD BY THE PUBLIC.
There were no members of the public present.

The Chairman closed the meeting at 8.38 pm.

Signed Chairman…………………………………… 12th April 2016

Tags: No tags

Comments are closed.